Marriage under false pretence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candie

What are some of the laws for a marriage under false pretence?

I was married to a person who is "gay" and my whole marriage I consider a lie. Can anything be done, said or is there anything that can be used for this?

What are some of the laws for a marriage under false pretence?

I was married to a person who is "gay" and my whole marriage I consider a lie. Can anything be done, said or is there anything that can be used for this?

Not really sure what you're looking for, but if you're already divorced, what else do you want?

if your not a lawyer why answer my post, and who said that "I am no longer married?".. but thanx for your reply of wealth.

if your not a lawyer why answer my post,
Many of the volunteers on this site are not lawyers, but do know how to use google, how to read, and can offer guidance and help. That's why. If you only want a lawyer to answer, then say that in your post.
and who said that "I am no longer married?"
You did. You said, "I was married..." If you are still married, then you should have said, "I am married...."
.. but thanx for your reply of wealth.

Uh, "reply of wealth"? I don't understand that either. Are you a spammer by any chance?

At any rate, with your attitude, good luck.

irish is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful family law contributors on this board. She asked a legitimate question. Try being less dismissive, and more clear in your posts. What is it you seek to accomplish?

If you can prove fraud you might be able to get an annulment but I am unclear if you are already divorced or not? Annulments are usually for short term marriages with no kids and sometimes they are a bigger hassle than getting a divorce.

I'M NOT A LAWYER...and I don't play one on TV either, but common sense would lead a person to believe that many people believe their marriages to be lies when the other spouse is cheating on them, hiding some kind of addiction, or in your case being "gay" (not sure why gay is quotes..but nevertheless). Did he use your marriage to get citizenship? or money from you? Maybe then you have a case....but I think just a divorce would suffice if those circumstances are not an issue. If of course you're not already divorced which is unclear in your post.

What you want is an annulment.

I'm assuming you don't have a lawyer or can't afford/don't want to hire one. So, check the laws in your state. There are very specific legal grounds for annulment of marriage and if you don't meet the criteria exactly then you will then have to get a plain old divorce (if you don't already have one).

I suppose you could also try suing him for damages in civil court but that's probably a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back