Marketing an Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al_Segno

I have, in my opinion, a great idea to market a product for an large, unrelated corp that is well trademarked. Here is the scenario: I have come up with, let's say. two catchy phrases, both working off a similar theme which is central in the image of the current customer base. These two "catchy phrases" will require them to be displayed with the Logo/trademark of the well known corp. Let's call the corp "Big Bikes". The phrases would be displayed in advertising, clothing, decals and other accessories. My question: Is there any intellectual value in the "catchy phrases"? I would like to present my idea to "Big Bikes", obviously with the expectation that, if accepted, there would be some value in it for me, as well. What if "Big Bikes" likes the idea and won't pay, or what is to prevent them from saying "no" and then turn around and use the idea? Is there any way to protect my idea? I realize there is no way to copyright the phrase. Any suggestions?

I have, in my opinion, a great idea to market a product for an large, unrelated corp that is well trademarked. Here is the scenario: I have come up with, let's say. two catchy phrases, both working off a similar theme which is central in the image of the current customer base. These two "catchy phrases" will require them to be displayed with the Logo/trademark of the well known corp. Let's call the corp "Big Bikes". The phrases would be displayed in advertising, clothing, decals and other accessories. My question: Is there any intellectual value in the "catchy phrases"? I would like to present my idea to "Big Bikes", obviously with the expectation that, if accepted, there would be some value in it for me, as well. What if "Big Bikes" likes the idea and won't pay, or what is to prevent them from saying "no" and then turn around and use the idea? Is there any way to protect my idea? I realize there is no way to copyright the phrase. Any suggestions?
Absolutely there is intellectual value in catchy phrases and it depends upon whether you can trademark the slogan in relation to the product for a company you create and you intend to sell that product or service. If you can obtain a trademark that is related to the item, it is possible that you can sell the rights to that slogan to the company. For a slogan to be trademarkable, it must not be indistinguishable from other products and is just informational, generic or laudatory. For example, "best bikes in the business" might not be distinguishable enough and can apply to any bike. However if it is sufficiently trademarkable or the words acquire a secondary meaning (like Nike's "Just Do It" in relation to their sneaker line) then perhaps that strategy might work. Then you can sell that campaign to the company. Just a thought... Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back