Marine Hit and Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
save your half-witted opinions to yourself, and stop playing house and offering semi-obtuse answers in an effort to confuse people, so they can resolve into the legal services you advertise

Okay, mate, you want helpful legal answers.

I've got a great one for you, pal.

By the way, I am NOT playing house.
I am a licensed attorney in half of these United States, Puerto Rico, and Guam.
I am licensed to practice before the federal bench, including the Supreme Court.
I am also a retired state court district judge, as well as a retired military judge.

Now for your GENUINE answer.

Under Florida law regarding the time limit to sue for personal injuries, you have FOUR years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit in Florida's civil courts (Here is a link to actual Florida Statutes Annotated section 95.11(3)) Chapter 95 Section 11 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate .

If you file your personal injury lawsuit after more than FOUR years has elapsed since the underlying accident or incident, it's a near-certainty that the defendant (the person you're suing) will point this fact out to the court, and the court will summarily dismiss your case.

If that happens, you''ll have lost your right to seek damages for your injuries, no matter how significant they might be, and no matter how clear the defendant's liability, unless you are entitled to an extension of the statute of limitations under a rare exception.

Florida has identified a variety of different factual scenarios that might serve to delay the running of the statute of limitations "clock," or pause the clock after it has started to run, effectively extending the four-year filing deadline set by Florida Statutes section 95.11(3)(a)
Chapter 95 Section 11 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate .

Here are some examples of circumstances that are likely to modify the standard four-year timeline for the filing of a personal injury lawsuit in Florida:

the injured person had been legally deemed "incapacitated" (i.e. was subject to a temporary or permanent mental illness) at the time of the underlying accident (but note that no more than seven years may pass between the date of the accident and the filing of the lawsuit, so an extension under this exception is not open-ended)

the person who allegedly caused the injury (the defendant) left the state of Florida at some point after the underlying accident, and before the lawsuit could be filed, and
the defendant took steps to conceal him/herself in Florida, or changed his or her name or identity, in order to prevent "process" (the lawsuit and summons) from being served.
These exceptions (and more) are spelled out at Florida Statutes section 95.051 Chapter 95 Section 051 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate .

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

I hope you eventually are made whole.

Your are not attorneys, but you advocate people obtain one. Isn't that special? In other words you all just "playing house" here.

But regardless, don't put words in my mouth: The matter is NOT too complex for an attorney; the reason I cannot obtain one is. Now, just to appease you:

I was the victim of a crime. Perpetrated as a marine hit and run, it had devastating and continuing consequences to and in my life affecting everything from my personal and emotional well being to my health and finances. The criminal was a former employer of mine --someone I knew and trusted. A marine hit and run with property damage and the resulting PTSD. I WAS INSIDE THE BOAT SLEEPING!! As far as attorneys are concerned I had two (2). The first one quit when I discovered he had taken testimony from the owner of the boat without the benefit of a deposition and had not questioned the veracity of of his damages in the face of other photo evidence to the contrary. The second piece of shit released the driver of the boat without telling me, so I fired him. Now no one will take the case. So you tell me what I have to do to get proper representation. I have been fighting this for 8 years on my own. I am doing the best I can to defend myself in what I think is a just cause in this crime.

So save your half-witted opinions to yourself, and stop playing house and offering semi-obtuse answers in an effort to confuse people, so they can resolve into the legal services you advertise.
Wow. How rude. Figure it out for yourself. I, for one, gave you a very helpful link so that you could learn how to represent yourself and how to present motions/evidence/subpoenas...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back