Manager inappropriate, racist and humiliating comments

Jesus Nuñez

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello,

I have worked as a Lead Security Guard for a community center for the past 2 years and unfortunately it has become an uncomfortable and toxic working environment due to Managers disgusting attitude and unprofessional comments. I have written down every dialogue where I felt something was said by my manager inappropriately, in addition I've attached witnesses, location and date to each note.
While they're are many here are to instances,

Manager - "Did you meet the new Mexican short guy?" "Well we are going to use him.." "haha"

Here is an incident that involved me.

I was falsely accused of harassing a female veteran who resides here and I faced a 1 week of suspension as I was under investigation. It was later determined that I was not guilty of any such accusations and was offered to return, which I did l. Upon returning they setup a formal "sexually orientation" for ALL STAFF, it was mandatory or you can face "immediate termination" according to management. During this meeting I felt extremely uncomfortable as I was hired 1 full year prior to this orientation taking place and I had just returned from serving my suspension 2 days prior. Anyways as the meeting came to a close the manager handed out a "memo" for us to sign and when she got to me she said "you need to sign 2 of these" she proceeded to laugh and say "just kidding" as everyone around me gasped, I was shocked she would even say that in front of my colleagues and felt humiliated and wanted to roll up into a ball. I'm now contemplating giving my 2 week notice but times are hard.

Any advise?
I'm willing to share more instances like these 2.

Thank you

Hello,
Any advise?

It sounds like an unpleasant place for you, so at the very least I suggest you start looking for other work. Hopefully you'll find a job you like better than this one before too long.

The problem is that most unpleasant behavior in the workplace is not illegal. If you can show you are being harassed because of some protected characteristic like race, national origin, sex, religion, etc then that is illegal and you have some recourse for that. You'd want to see an attorney who litigates cases of illegal discrimination by employers. As no adverse action has been taken against you (like getting fired) there is also an issue of what damages you have and what award you might get for that.

Thank you so much for sharing some information with me, it's unfortunate I might have to seek another opportunity. I must say I feel comfortable and content working at the Community Center, however I don't feel to happy working for the community center, if that makes sense.

I would also like to mention that this Community Center is primarily owned by an Egyptian Family. Basically they have filled up the positions with all family members, kitchen staff, security and management. This has created a ton dissension amongst all. Favoritism is alive and well here as well, unfortunately. The father of the manager I mentioned is a security guard who knows minimal English and has had multiple encounters with veterans who reside here where he has been captured on camera being aggressive. Unfortunately he has yet to face any repercussions.

Back