Maintenance Agreement

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello everyone,
I am doing a consulting project for a gentleman that is going to be representing himself pro se. About ten years ago he was divorce. as part of the divorce agreement he agreed that his company was worth x amount of money. It was also state there was no assessment done of the business and this was an estimate. The wife is on record stating that the maintenance is based on the value of the business. fast forward the business goes under and a future assessment shows the business was never worth x amount at the time of the divorce. He would like to bring this back into court to contest the judgement based on the value of the business being inaccurate. He is currently filing a Pro Se Appearance form and will file a to motion the case up. Does anyone have any ideas on what should be done next? How likely is he to get this adjusted? And basically any helpful info from anyone who has been through somewhat similar circumstances.

How likely is he to get this adjusted?

There is precisely a zero chance that your client will successfully "contest the judgment." Whether he can get a modification of the alimony is something about which he should consult with a local family law attorney.

You didn't say what your area of expertise is, but I assume you're not a lawyer. That being the case, I can't conceive why you would take it upon yourself to solicit legal information on his behalf. If I were you, I would detach from this unrepresented party, who apparently doesn't know what he's doing, as soon as possible.

Back