Lump Sum Child Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

legna

The father (we were not married and paternity has been established) of my 7 month old daughter has stated that he wants nothing to do with us- and has stated that since I was 5 weeks pregnant (He actually begged me to terminate, which I had done once before for him, which I refused to do). He even changed his address and phone number, and ignores emails so I couldn't get a hold of him. I filed for custody and child support because while I can make ends meet, I just couldn't afford daycare while I work.
Long story short, I'd rather get one big lump sum payment then keep dragging him to court every month. And if so- are there limits opposed to how it's used? Basically, I want to pay off my house and car (I owe 92K total). That would give me $800 a month (which is $400 over what I would get in support) to spend on my daughter- daycare, diapers whatever. It would be win-win for both of us. I'd have money every month (instead of a mortgage), I wouldn't have to drag him to court, and he wouldn't have to worry about support increases or being a part of our lives.
I would not stop him from having visitation if he should want it, but I'm not seeking it either.

Does he have that kind of money available? Would he agree to it? Even if so, I don't really think that would be approved in court.

There's always a possibility that you could find yourself without a job and means of support, and would need help from the state. The state wants to be reimbursed, and they would go to the father for that.

His parents hate me, and they own a house. I can see them taking out a mortgage to pay it should it come to that.
I doubt I will be without a job, I work in the healthcare industry so I am in high demand. I also have a Masters, and I'm almost done with my PhD so I should hopefully never be without a job. Of course it's possible that it will happen in my life, but I would still be better off with my house paid off and no support then the other way around.

No judge will order that unless it's an agreement that you and the father have already made. Even then, I still don't think it will be approved, but you can consult a local family law attorney to be sure.

Lump sums are normally frowned upon big time and many courts might see that as a gift instead of CS. If you guys can work somethingout and have it approved through the courts then it probably will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back