1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

LTD Overpayment

Discussion in 'Medical Leave & Disability' started by Hv19, May 23, 2019.

1. Hv19

Hv19 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    North Carolina
    Is an attorney responsible for reviewing payments that are received through the office for disability? I received an overpayment for LTD and the attorney did not notice and took the fees out of the overpayment as well. It is almost $13k. They were aware that I had returned to work and was only eligible for a portion of overpayment however, they supposedly reviewed and sent through my payment and gave me the go ahead to use the money.

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Are you being asked to repay the overpayment? If yes, then it would be reasonable to expect the attorney to return his portion of the fee that he charged based on the overpayment.

3. Hv19

Hv19 Law Topic Starter New Member

Yes, I am being asked to repay the $13,000. The total was just over $15,000 so the fee would have been much less on just the $2,000 that was supposed to be paid.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Ask the attorney for a refund. If he says no, file a fee dispute with the lawyer regulatory agency of your state.

5. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

What office? What disability? Received by or on behalf of whom? Whom does the attorney represent, and what is the scope of the attorney's representation?

Concur.

Did you speak with your attorney about this? If not, why not?

hrforme likes this.