loving father wants sole custody of son

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvlohio

I'm pretty new to this and really just want some advice. I have a seven year old son who lives with his mother. His mother and I were never married. For the last couple years, I have been worried about my son living with his mother. There are serveral issues that worry me but mostly it's my son being left alone for up to three hours after school. I pay a good bit of child support and don't understand why that money can't go towards a babysitter for my son. I have my son every other weekend and all summer, but when he is living with his mother, he is usually with her parents. She doesn't seem to want to be bothered with him, but refuses to let him live with me. I am very active in my son's life, but I live over an hour and a half away. When we discuss the home alone issue, my son's mother gets angry and tells me it is none of my business and says that there is nothing wrong with him being left alone. My son is an adventurish child and I worry about him not being supervised. When his mother is home, he runs the neighborhood and alot of times when I have gone to pick him up or tried to call, she doesn't know where he is. School is another issue all together. He has been struggling for the last two years, but his mother doesn't even help him with his homework. When he is with me, we sit down together and read or work on his reading. I feel she has left me no choice except to file for sole custody. I just want a stable home for my son and I feel that he would have a better chance of that with me. The problem is that she thinks I have no chance of obtaining custody. She uses him as a bargaining chip to control me and I'm tired of my son being used! I consulted with a lawyer last week and filed for sole custody. I could use any advice or comments that anyone could spare. Thank you all for listening to me!

Last edited:
Originally posted by jvlohio:
I'm pretty new to this and really just want some advice. I have a seven year old son who lives with his mother. His mother and I were never married. For the last couple years, I have been worried about my son living with his mother. There are serveral issues that worry me but mostly it's my son being left alone for up to three hours after school. I pay a good bit of child support and don't understand why that money can't go towards a babysitter for my son. I have my son every other weekend and all summer, but when he is living with his mother, he is usually with her parents. She doesn't seem to want to be bothered with him, but refuses to let him live with me. I am very active in my son's life, but I live over an hour and a half away. When we discuss the home alone issue, my son's mother gets angry and tells me it is none of my business and says that there is nothing wrong with him being left alone. My son is an adventurish child and I worry about him not being supervised. When his mother is home, he runs the neighborhood and alot of times when I have gone to pick him up or tried to call, she doesn't know where he is. School is another issue all together. He has been struggling for the last two years, but his mother doesn't even help him with his homework. When he is with me, we sit down together and read or work on his reading. I feel she has left me no choice except to file for sole custody. I just want a stable home for my son and I feel that he would have a better chance of that with me. The problem is that she thinks I have no chance of obtaining custody. She uses him as a bargaining chip to control me and I'm tired of my son being used! I consulted with a lawyer last week and filed for sole custody. I could use any advice or comments that anyone could spare. Thank you all for listening to me!
It's difficult for anyone to give you any better advice than your attorney who is very familiar with the situation. Leverage is leverage. What are your attorney's thoughts on the matter? You would likely want to back up some of your claims before you proceed so it doesn't look solely like your word against hers and this appearing as just "bad blood" between the two of you and mere differences of opinion as to child raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back