Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Lost Wallet with Fake ID, Found by Police Station

pinkaopii4192

I lost my wallet about a month ago with both my fake ID and real ID inside, the University police station (at a school that I do not attend) mailed me my real ID back but also mailed me a letter asking me to go in to claim the wallet. Would it be best if I just didn't bother getting it? The letter said that if I didn't pick it up the property would be considered "abandoned". What does that mean exactly.

If you're smart, you'll cut your losses. You don't want to know nothing about a fake ID, trust me. If you go get the fake ID, you won't like the neat surprise you'll receive.

I have to agree with army judge. You did get your real ID back. You might just want to forget about the wallet since you have a fake ID in it.

I suspect you would be fine to pick up your wallet if you want it. Having a fake ID in your wallet is not illegal. Presenting a fake ID as a real one is illegal. The scenario as you describe it would not lead to any action against you.

You have broken PC 470b. Possession of a fake ID. It can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor and could result in up to 1 year in jail or a $1000 fine.

Well, to be fair, PC 470b also requires that the state prove that there was intent to use the license to commit forgery (and, by extension, fraud).

470b. Every person who displays or causes or permits to be
displayed or has in his or her possession any driver's license or
identification card of the type enumerated in Section 470a with the
intent that the driver's license or identification card be used to
facilitate the commission of any forgery, is punishable by
imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or by
imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.​

The problem with most of these false document laws is that the state not only has to show possession, most require that there is an intent to use them for some unlawful purpose. I imagine that if the OP were to go to the station to collect the wallet and false ID they would ask him about the false ID and its intent. It might be possible to charge him, but, it'd be a stretch and and I doubt that a DA would file unless he admitted he was going to use it to unlawfully purchase alcohol, commit forgery or fraud, or some other prohibited act covered by one of the sections in the VC, the B&P and the PC.

It can be frustrating to catch someone with these IDs on them and not be able to charge them.

Back