Loss of Pension

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheermomroni

I was hired at Delco Products Division of GM in 1976 and became a member of the union there. I worked the assembly line for around 15 months before I was taken on as a floor Supervisor, considered a Salaried
position. I NEVER gave up my Union rights and under contract, was still considered an active Union employe. After supervising approximately 21 years, they drafted a Union contract stating that in order to continue working as a floor supervisor, everyone involved would have to GIVE up their Union rights to stay in the job. I refused and went back to the assembly line and worked for the remaining 2 yrs until my retirement. I was eligible, under the Union contract at that time, for early retirement, with FULL benefits after 25 years of employment. I officially retired and signed papers 5 years later, after 30 yrs of service. When I received my retirement papers, they came from the DELPHI division of GM. I proceeded to call and inform them that I had NEVER worked one day at their division and was told that GM had sold the Salaried Pensions to Delphi. To make a long story short, Delphi went bankrupt and the government took over the Salaried Pensions. My pension was cut almost $700 the very next month. Union retirees with my same hire date are still getting that $700 that I lost and their pensions were never cut, BECAUSE they were part of the Union.....but SO WAS I. I will state again, I never gave up my Union rights and it was BECAUSE of this, that I was able to go back to the assembly line, with full Union seniority rights. I worked on the night shift assembling electrical parts for the last 2 years of my employment. The Salaried employees are now involved with a lawsuit to regain their pay through the DSRA. It has been in litigation for over 4 years now. The problem is that there were only about 15 supervisors in my position at the time and only 5 of us refused to give up our Union rights and go back to work on the assembly lines. My contention is that I should NOT have had my pension grouped with the other Salaried pensions sold to Delphi. I was hired as a Union worker in May of 1976 and I retired as a Union worker in May of 2006.

Thank you for sharing your story. When you have a legal question, be sure to let us know.

As you know the organized union pensions defaults due to underfunding were intentionally encouraged by the government to break the unions. Similar to how the government is trying to break employer provided health care now. Unfortunately, by falling into a very small segment, your class action recourse is limited to what profit a law firm can make which is very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back