Loans added after separation

Slpisano2504

My wife and I are separated and have been for 6+ months now. She is threatening me to take out a loan in our names to pay for some of our debt incurred and her debt as well. I am not signing any papers and want to settle this in court instead of a agreement between us. Can she legally take out a joint loan since we are technically still married, but separated?

My wife and I are separated and have been for 6+ months now. She is threatening me to take out a loan in our names to pay for some of our debt incurred and her debt as well. I am not signing any papers and want to settle this in court instead of a agreement between us. Can she legally take out a joint loan since we are technically still married, but separated?

You betcha she can attempt to obtain loans that will also obligate you.

This article offers some information:

http://info.legalzoom.com/am-liable-spouses-debt-prior-divorce-during-separation-24336.html

I suggest you contact your attorney and ask him or her about placing ads in local publications that state something like this:

I will not be responsible for debts incurred in my name by anyone other than myself.

You might consider contacting the credit agencies and see if they are willing to put a block on your credit reporting. You would be notified if anyone runs a credit check to open any new account.

& definitely don't sign anything.

Back