Loan officer negligence

Katejoejohns

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My loan officer has been negligent in his duties. I say this because 7 weeks ago we sent all required documents to him and I followed up by calling and emailing and asking him and his assistant if they received everything they asked for. I was told that they did. We also set a date for closing which was 5 weeks out from the day we set it. My husband was in the process of retiring from the military and beginning a new career with a very respected North Carolina company. We asked the loan officer (7 weeks ago) what documentation he would need to show my husbands retirement since it would not start until 2 months after closing. The loan officer kept telling us he had what he needed and not to worry. 9 business days before closing we are told he needs something from the VA confirming the retirement (very difficult to get anything that quickly from the VA). In the mean time we have gotten a conditional approval 3 weeks prior and then another one 1 week prior (not sure how you get 2) I thought the process was 1 and then on to underwriting for final approval. I have been very cooperative and given the lender everything they have asked as quickly as I can and in a very timely manner. We have come down to the wire and my loan officer finally admitted he never checked the documents I sent 7 weeks ago nor did he put the correct date for my husbands retirement in the packet. The only reason anything was caught was because the processor found the loan officers errors (9 business days before closing). Then after we did a credit counseling I am called 5 business days before closing to do it all over again because the credit person did not ask the correct questions. Then after my loan is approved (3 business days before closing) my loan officer does not have the correct figures to give me my correct closing cost or to get me my closing disclosure form to sign. After I myself give him the information (all established over 2 weeks ago) I finally get the disclosure on a the Friday before my closing at 5:05 pm from the attorney's office as they only got the packet from the lender that afternoon. They tell me we are closing. I am wiring the money to the attorney for closing this Wednesday but after all the mistakes I do not feel good about this loan officer. I do not want this to happen to someone else. Is there any legal recourse I can bring against this loan officer? I will contact the Better Business B and his chain of command but the anxiety and frustration this has caused through absolutely no fault of our own is staggering. Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

If any deal fails to completely satisfy you, don't do the deal.
If you lack confidence in any deal, don't do the deal.
A good deal is a deal that gives you 100% confidence in the deal.
Discuss the deal with your husband.
Discuss the remedies you may have with a real estate lawyer (or three) in your county.
Don't seek financial or legal advice of great importance to you from sources you can't vet.

Back