Loan for my car in step-fathers name, who has recently died, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital_J

I'll make this as short as possible. My moms husband passed away last week ( I was never legally adopted by him, so I have no legal ties whatsoever ) and left no will or anything like that. Two years ago, he signed for the loan for my car, that I make the payments on. His pension is going to my mom, and his life insurance is going to his son. (my half-brother) My moms husband signed the title and sent it to me before his death, which I now have. I'm pretty sure he did not take out a policy on the loan in case of his death. Having said that, where do I go from here? I do not want to lose the car, and I don't have sufficient credit to pull a loan for whats owed. I'm spooked about calling the loan company to report his death, as I do not want the car loan to fall on my brother (we are at ends, and do not talk) nor do I want him to be able to take the car from me. What should be my first move?

Would that not be some type of fraud if I were found out? How would I get plates, tabs, and insurance? The title has the bank as first lien....

I assumed you had plates in your name. So you have been driving with insurance and plates in your step-father's name?

The car passed to your Mom when he died. You can continue your actions just let your mom get the insurance and plates. Or, your Mom can sign the car over to you subject to the lien. The lender doesn't care who pays the note, if someone pays it they are happy.

How on earth would it be fraud? Don't worry about that, it isn't fraud. Believe me the lender wants someone to pay the loan not for a dead man to default on it.

Yes, the plates and insurance are in my step-fathers name. I was put down as the primary driver on the insurance. So, if I understand correctly, we can just go down and have the title transfered to my name, and be able to obtain plates, tags, and insurance, keep paying the loan in his name, and all is well? I have the signed title in my possesion. The title is blank except for the signature, first lien (the bank) and the original stats at purchase, not the current stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back