Rent, Utilities LL told me to pay the Jan. rent in cash and she does not want to give me a receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdct1103

I have been renting a room in a private house since December 1, 2011. I paid the security deposit by my personal check to my LL/owner before I moved in. After I moved in, she told me to pay the Dec. rent in cash. I told her it would be okay as long as she provided me a receipt for that and she gave me a receipt.

However, she told me to pay the Jan rent in cash yesterday and said "I dont want to give you a receipt." I said "I cannot pay in cash if there is no receipt." And she said "Okay, I will take the security deposit as the Jan. rent."

I asked her "How about the Feb rent?". She said "If you dont want to pay it in cash, you dont have to pay because I dont want to write a receipt." I think she does not want to give me a receipt because it is an illegal unit and she does not want to leave an evidence as rent income.

I will intend to be here until the end of March. What should I do with the Feb and March rent?

I would really appreciate if you could gave me any advice.
Thank you.

Contact the city agency that handles rental units.

If it is not a legal rental unit, you'll eventually be asked or required to vacate.

That often takes 2-3 months.

Hmmmmm, that's about the time you're planning on leaving.

If she wants you out, she'll have to take it to court.

But, no court would require you to pay.

The court will order you to leave, eventually, maybe 2-3 months. In the winter, it might not be until spring arrives!!!!

The court will order her to return your deposit and any rent you paid.

You might be wise to speak with legal aid or an attorney.

I've given you a generic outline of events.

An attorney or legal aid or the city can provide you with particulars.

If you're smart, you'll use this time and money to rent a real apartment.

No one need live their life in limbo and chaos and confusion.

Thank you.

Thank you, army judge. I still have a question for you.

>Contact the city agency that handles rental units.

Will you please tell me how to find the city agency in NY? Thank you in advance.

>If you're smart, you'll use this time and money to rent a real apartment.

I already find the new place to live but the current tenant will not vacate the premises until the end of March.

Thank you, army judge. I still have a question for you.

>Contact the city agency that handles rental units.

Will you please tell me how to find the city agency in NY? Thank you in advance.

>If you're smart, you'll use this time and money to rent a real apartment.

I already find the new place to live but the current tenant will not vacate the premises until the end of March.

OP, that is YOUR homework assignment.

You might contact your local elected official(s) in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back