Living Springs Won't Pay Me!!!!!

A

aliciahawthorne

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I work for a company that is payed by the state for home healthcare. I log on to a phone system to track my hours and we also submit timesheets when we go to pick up our checks. on April 8th I went in to pick up my check and was told no because timesheets that were submitted for February was signed in blue ink by the client in which I work with. I have in the past been guilty of signing in blue ink because the company policy is that we use black ink, but since I received a a written warning I have not since then turn in any thing in black ink. I feel that I am not responsible for the color of ink that the client use I feel the company should have sent the exact same memo that the workers got to not use blue ink. After waiting several days I still have not received my check with no other explanation as to why the Human Resource manager yelled and screamed at me while shoving the employee manual in my face and throwing me a pen and paper to write a letter to resign. I am very weary to return to the office but I am still working with the client. what in the world should I so

I work for a company that is payed by the state for home healthcare. I log on to a phone system to track my hours and we also submit timesheets when we go to pick up our checks. on April 8th I went in to pick up my check and was told no because timesheets that were submitted for February was signed in blue ink by the client in which I work with. I have in the past been guilty of signing in blue ink because the company policy is that we use black ink, but since I received a a written warning I have not since then turn in any thing in black ink. I feel that I am not responsible for the color of ink that the client use I feel the company should have sent the exact same memo that the workers got to not use blue ink. After waiting several days I still have not received my check with no other explanation as to why the Human Resource manager yelled and screamed at me while shoving the employee manual in my face and throwing me a pen and paper to write a letter to resign. I am very weary to return to the office but I am still working with the client. what in the world should I so

It might be time for you to begin seeking new employment.

The entity you're working for seems to be abusive.

Even if you're making $1,000,000 a day, why allow your employer to abuse you?

It would seem that you can seek the assistance of your state's wage and hour/labor agency. In Illinois, the agency is referred to as IDOL.

Who is covered by the Wage Payment and Collection Act?
The law covers private employers and units of local government.
State and Federal Employees are exempt from the Act.
The work has to be performed in Illinois for an employee to make a claim under the Act. For example, a truck driver that lives in Illinois but travels throughout the United States to perform their work is likely not covered by the Act.
Bona fide independent contractors and persons who meet the legal definition of an independent contractor cannot make a claim under the Act. Because an employer may call or classify an employee an independent contractor neither satisfies the legal definition of an independent contractor nor exempts an employer from the application of the Act. A determination of whether an individual is an employee or an independent contractor requires a fact based inquiry.

You can start here for an explanation of how you file a claim with IDOL (ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF LABOR):

FAQs: Filing A Claim

Wage claim FAQS:

FAQs: Wage Claim Hearing FAQ

what in the world should I so

1 - Make sure you go back to the office when you are supposed to and don't resign. Otherwise your absence and/or resignation is construed as a voluntary quit and you'll likely be ineligible for UI.

2 - Don't let an HR flunky scare you. If he was qualified for a real job he wouldn't be at his level of incompetence screaming and throwing the employee handbook at people.

3 - The law says you get paid within a limited amount of time after you've earned your pay. Doesn't matter if your employer doesn't get paid. The law trumps the employee handbook.

4 - File a wage claim with the state ASAP.

5 - Seek employment elsewhere ASAP because as soon as you bring the state down on your employer, there will be subtle retribution at some future date that you won't be able to prove is related to the wage claim.

2.) Jack, that is really offensive. Why is she asking HR anyway? What does she think the Payroll office is for? Maybe he's sick of HR being held responsible for the errors of other departments.

I find it very difficult to believe there isn't more to this story. However, despite Jack's bizarre need to insult the profession of almost everyone on this board, he gives good advice. If they are REALLY holding your paycheck over a clerical error, file a wage claim with the state.

Agree that it is best not to resign. You generally will not get unemployment ins. (though in some cases being forced to resign might be considered a firing - "resign or be fired").

Also agree re filing a wage claim for your unpaid wages.

Back