Live in Texas, Oklahoma Tax Commission Coming After Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi, I recently got a succeful chapter 13 plan.

Then today, I get an email from a law firm representing the oklahoma tax commission. They are saying I owe taxes from about 17 years ago, that started out around $5,000 in state income taxes, and apparently have been accumulating penalties and fees ever since. This debt wasn't listed in my 13 plan, and the state never notified the court they were a debtor.

I called my attorney, and he said he believes they can come after me for this. I was under the impression that they could not garnish my wages. He said they can't, but that if they get a judgement they can garnish my wages. I didn't think anyone other than the irs and child support could garnish wages in the state of TeXas.

Can someone verify some of this and give me some answers on this?

Thanks

Hi, I recently got a succeful chapter 13 plan.

Then today, I get an email from a law firm representing the oklahoma tax commission. They are saying I owe taxes from about 17 years ago, that started out around $5,000 in state income taxes, and apparently have been accumulating penalties and fees ever since. This debt wasn't listed in my 13 plan, and the state never notified the court they were a debtor.

I called my attorney, and he said he believes they can come after me for this. I was under the impression that they could not garnish my wages. He said they can't, but that if they get a judgement they can garnish my wages. I didn't think anyone other than the irs and child support could garnish wages in the state of TeXas.

Can someone verify some of this and give me some answers on this?

Thanks

Your best option to discuss this with three or four other Texas licensed attorneys in or near your county.
Make sure you bring your bankruptcy documents with you when you visit.
As you haven't been sued YET, nothing to get concerned about.
Just make sure you do nothing about the alleged debt, and be smart, DON'T speak to the alleged collector, or respond to their written correspondence.

If you are served with a notice of a lawsuit, make sure you consult those attorneys again.

In many cases the debt need not be specifically named to give you the benefit of the discharge.
BK law is not my practice specialty, so take that advice and any other with a pound of salt and a ton of caution.
We do have a very knowledgeable BK attorney that occasionally chime sin with great advice about BK related questions.

If you see this name despritfreya read his advice carefully.
He's quite proficient and acclaimed in the area of BK law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back