Roomate Live in care givers asked to move out without notice. Single mom help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait wait wait disagreeable - I can be tresspassed? But all my stuff is here. I am thinking he is trying to not let the office know that we were even here.

So even though my name isn't on the lease and let's say I tell his ex wife when she comes to get the key that I am not giving it to her right away, I need more time to move out like until the end of the month, she can't call the police and they can't kick me out?

It isn't her home and it isn't her key. She has no authority over you in this situation and you don't have to give her anything. Again, it may be in your best interest to get the landlord on board with your plans to avoid unnecessary trouble.

Wait wait wait disagreeable - I can be tresspassed? But all my stuff is here. I am thinking he is trying to not let the office know that we were even here.

You are not trespassing. You will not be legally forced out or have any law enforcement problems until after a judge orders you out... And it sounds as if you intend to be gone long before then.

It may be true that they don't want the management to know you are there because he probably wasn't allowed to have you move in. That is not a problem for you though. Don't be afraid to soak with the landlord and work things out. If the rent is paid I doubt they will give you a hard time.

Last edited:
However, your lack of a romantic partner/husband and the fact that you procreated does not entitle you to special consideration. It is YOUR responsibility to provide a secure home for your child, not any one else's. Playing the single mom card is not going to get you anywhere except possibly a shelter which caters to women and children.

Lol I am not "playing" the single mom card at all. I was just stating a fact. Wow I am actually offended by that statement ElleMD. It has been my responsibility to provide everything for my child since I chose to procreate, and I know this. So before saying a statement like that that can be taken highly offensive maybe you should get your facts right first because my lack of a romantic relationship has nothing to do with this.

You got your car impounded and now only have a home until a court order comes through. Your main premise against this seems to be that you have a kid and so you should be allowed to continue on as you please. That is not the case. The law isn't based on kid versus no kid. Your having a kid has absolutely nothing to do with this situation at all. You mentioned it to either elicit sympathy or because you thought it changed the situation. The latter is not true and the former still doesn't change anything. I'm not even sure why you included the bit about the car as that only serves to make you look irresponsible but it changes nothing with regard to your living situation. You can be evicted and you need to find alternate housing, car or no car, kid or no kid. As others have pointed out, you do not want to wait until forced by the court to do so. It buys you some time, but comes at a very steep price.

No not at all, my question was simple. For some reason YOU are looking way to deep into this.
Again my question was what rights do i have if I'm not on the lease. If the"tenant" asked me to move out by Wednesday do I have to or can I move out at the end of the month since the rent paid through that. Your right maybe I added to much into my reply but I asked for ADVICE. I thought that that is what this forum is for. I thought maybe someone can ADVICE me of things I could do. But instead I get lectured on having a kid without a spouse and being irresponsible for not having my car. Just as my posts were not needed for my original questions (and i apologize to anyone i might have offended) but neither were your's.

You don't have to move out unless you are legally evicted - receive a court order to move. You don't have to be out Wed. (Bottom line)

You're welcome. :) .............................

Would someone perhaps enlighten me as to how a single eviction will doom the Mother and her child forever - or even long term - in OP's state?

I'll wait.

We might want to hold off condemning this poster, too. It's hardly helpful.

Would someone perhaps enlighten me as to how a single eviction will doom the Mother and her child forever?<br />
<br />
I'll wait.<br/>

I would also like to know.

(It can prevent you from renting in the more exclusive areas, but other than that? The vast majority of landlords are fine with deposit, first and last - and even finer if you have someone co-sign. I am not an attorney but I do have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues here)

I'm not to worried about renting in an exclusive area and if I am able to just explain what might happen to new possible landlords most (but not all) most likely will work with me right?

You don't have to move out unless you are legally evicted - receive a court order to move. You don't have to be out Wed. (Bottom line)

Nor do you have to be out by the end of the month. It does not matter that your name is not on the lease agreement. The same procedure must be followed to have you legally removed as if you were the original tenant.

If OP is evicted, she doesn't have to be out until the eviction/court order says she does. She was just concerned that she would have to be out by Wed.

Would someone perhaps enlighten me as to how a single eviction will doom the Mother and her child forever - or even long term - in OP's state?

I'll wait.

We might want to hold off condemning this poster, too. It's hardly helpful.

Its never a in a tenant's best interests long term to even get served with eviction papers.
Not a notice to quit, mind you, but the formal service and opening of an eviction action.
The sting of that simple service and the mere opening of any eviction can impact a person far beyond renting in the future.
An eviction will also appear on a credit report, if that is important to you.
Credit is more important to some than others.
Credit reports can also impact future employment opportunities.
I'm not saying its fair, anymore than that retail theft database is fair, but it is an accepted practice, and quite perverse.
All I can suggest to anyone is do your best to avoid ever being a criminal or civil defendant.
I won't bore everyone (or anyone) with 10, or 20 links. If you desire more, you can simply do a more comprehensive web search.
I've linked a couple websites that offer more detail about WHY, and I'm sure our resident expert on landlord-tenant matters will have some interesting thoughts:

http://real-estate.lawyers.com/land...the-landlord-and-avoid-the-eviction-case.html

http://www.solid-ground.org/Tenant/Pages/HousingSearch.aspx

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/options-evicted-apartment-ever-rent-again-8376.html

Awesome. You found those sites ... which actually support my stance.

Saved me from listing 'em.

Look. An eviction is hardly an invitation to have tea with the Queen. But it won't leave you on death row, either. There are plenty of landlords more than willing to make an exception, come to a different agreement, ask for double deposits... in other words, it's clearly NOT the end of the world.

Heck, if that was the case, half of WA would be on the streets and don't even get me started with California. :cool:

You're welcome :D

Awesome. You found those sites ... which actually support my stance.

Saved me from listing 'em.

Look. An eviction is hardly an invitation to have tea with the Queen. But it won't leave you on death row, either. There are plenty of landlords more than willing to make an exception, come to a different agreement, ask for double deposits... in other words, it's clearly NOT the end of the world.

Heck, if that was the case, half of WA would be on the streets and don't even get me started with California. :cool:

You're welcome :D

We are all free to read things and interpret them to our satisfaction.
I've never been evicted, but I certainly sympathize with those who find themselves in such a fix.
I can only recommend that if one is ever entering eviction territory, he or she should try to negotiate a compromise.
An eviction won't matter to some, but I've seen people flummoxed by the result.
Nothing funny about that, in my view.

She is not on the lease. She therefore has no legal rights to be on the property. All they must do is issue a trespass warning, then proceed to a trespassing arrest. She can provide no written evidence of a legal right to be there other than she has squatted. That does not mean the LL won't be a little nicer. It also does not mean they must be a little nicer.

RCW 9A.52.070
Criminal trespass in the first degree.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back