Roomate Live in care givers asked to move out without notice. Single mom help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clddebarge

I have a very big problem at hand and need some advice from anyone who would be able to help me. Me and my 8 year old daughter have been residing in a residence where we are not on the lease but have been here for more than 6 months helping an elderly gentleman with his everyday needs. Today however we get a phone call from the gentleman we have been taking care of, he is currently in the hospital and is not coming back but going to home to be taken care of from now on, telling us that we have to be out by Wednesday. Now we knew we were having to move out but not in 2 days. Does anyone know of what legal rights we have if we're not on the lease?

You're a caregiver, and you don't have a separate tenancy. You've just been effectively fired. You know you have to move.

But here's the deal: you CANNOT be forced out like this. The owner/whoever must evict you, and evict you properly according to the law. You're not squatters, so the police can't force you out. The very least they must do is serve you with eviction papers and take it to court.

You are NOT required to leave unless there's a court order saying that you must!

I have a very big problem at hand and need some advice from anyone who would be able to help me. Me and my 8 year old daughter have been residing in a residence where we are not on the lease but have been here for more than 6 months helping an elderly gentleman with his everyday needs. Today however we get a phone call from the gentleman we have been taking care of, he is currently in the hospital and is not coming back but going to home to be taken care of from now on, telling us that we have to be out by Wednesday. Now we knew we were having to move out but not in 2 days. Does anyone know of what legal rights we have if we're not on the lease?

Are you employed as a caregiver by a licensed agency?
Are you simply providing freelance services working as YOU against the world, as in you're self employed?
If you were placed in the home by an agency, well, you know.
Your best bet is to leave peacefully, and as soon as possible. I suggest you comply with the request and voluntarily leave within the 48 hours you've been so graciously given.

Now, you can stay and wait to be evicted by the courts.
Yes, that will buy you extra time, free time, but at a very high cost later.
A legal eviction can take anywhere from eight to twelve weeks, give or take.
But, the mere filing of an eviction will destroy your chances to ever rent decent housing for you and your child for decades.
Let's put it this way, if an eviction case is filed, you'll eventually be evicted.
But when you next try to seek your own rental unit, you'll find they've mysteriously placed your name into the DO NOT RENT DATABASE.
That means you''ll be denied decent housing for decades, maybe forever!!!

The choice is yours, ma'am. I wish you well.

He is a friend and told me I could move in to help him. I am not on the lease he is. I was told his ex wife is coming to get the keys and needs to turn them into the apartment rental office. But I have a room full of mine and my daughter's things. He said his movers are coming Wednesday.

Even more complicated if this is a rental property. The property owner will have to begin an eviction against you, not the elderly man you were helping. You might do yourself a favor to contact the property owner/management yourself and let them know your situation and that you do intend to move. They might be willing to work with you.

That is what I was thinking. Crap. I am just very disgusted by this man's ex wife she knows I have my child with me. Thank u

Are you employed as a caregiver by a licensed agency?
Are you simply providing freelance services working as YOU against the world, as in you're self employed?
If you were placed in the home by an agency, well, you know.
Your best bet is to leave peacefully, and as soon as possible. I suggest you comply with the request and voluntarily leave within the 48 hours you've been so graciously given.

Now, you can stay and wait to be evicted by the courts.
Yes, that will buy you extra time, free time, but at a very high cost later.
A legal eviction can take anywhere from eight to twelve weeks, give or take.
But, the mere filing of an eviction will destroy your chances to ever rent decent housing for you and your child for decades.
Let's put it this way, if an eviction case is filed, you'll eventually be evicted.
But when you next try to seek your own rental unit, you'll find they've mysteriously placed your name into the DO NOT RENT DATABASE.
That means you''ll be denied decent housing for decades, maybe forever!!!

The choice is yours, ma'am. I wish you well.

No it won't.

This OP lives in WA state. With the new information, it confuses things, but you rest assured Army Judge that in our fair state it is NOT all doom and gloom.

Specially when it comes to evictions and the ability to rent again afterwards. One might say we're second only to California in terms of being tenant-friendly.

Thank you.

Oh, one other thing. The timeline of an eviction in this state is rough 3 weeks start to finish.

Even more complicated if this is a rental property. The property owner will have to begin an eviction against you, not the elderly man you were helping. You might do yourself a favor to contact the property owner/management yourself and let them know your situation and that you do intend to move. They might be willing to work with you.

Right, exactly. But even if the company itself files an eviction, it's not the end of the world by any means.

So even though my name isn't on the lease and let's say I tell his ex wife when she comes to get the key that I am not giving it to her right away, I need more time to move out like until the end of the month, she can't call the police and they can't kick me out?

No, you can't just be put out & your things. You would have to be legally evicted. I would move as soon as possible though.

We really have no where to go. And my car was just impounded because stupid me forgot to put the handicap pass on my rear view mirror.

No it won't.

This OP lives in WA state. With the new information, it confuses things, but you rest assured Army Judge that in our fair state it is NOT all doom and gloom.

Specially when it comes to evictions and the ability to rent again afterwards. One might say we're second only to California in terms of being tenant-friendly.

Thank you.

Oh, one other thing. The timeline of an eviction in this state is rough 3 weeks start to finish.

Happy to hear you Washingtonians are lenient.
If, however, someone were to move to other states, the result might not be to their liking.
The DO NOT RENTAL DATABASE, that's what I call it, is tougher than the retail theft databases, used to be; or so some people say.

We really have no where to go. And my car was just impounded because stupid me forgot to put the handicap pass on my rear view mirror.

Not to worry, read what Proserpina posted to me.
I suspect you might find her message heartening.

I have heard the same thing Army Judge. And I am not even trying to get tyed up in legal battles. The only thing I am worried about is my daughter and her security

You are a caregiver who has been given notice your caregiving is no longer needed. If you refuse to leave, the next step is to have you trespassed. At no time were you offered a tenancy. At most, your response could be you should have the same right as a month to month tenant to be evicted, it might or might not fly. I suggest you find a homeless shelter if you have no where else to go.

Last edited:
I've read everything that has been posted. I am just now trying to figure out what our plans will be after we are out. #1 get my car out of impound

I am a friend who was asked by another friend to help in his time of need. He is moving out and I have know but he asked me to move out a week ealier then I thought. Point blank period.

You are a caregiver who has been given notice your caregiving is no longer needed. If you refuse to leave, the next step is to have you trespassed. At no time were you offered a tenancy. At most, your response could be you should have the same right as a month to month tenant to be evicted, it might or might not fly. I suggest you find a homeless shelter if you have no where else to go.

And I'll comment further that even if she's effectively unemployed, she still has rights under the law. In other words, she has the right to stay - and no, she's not a trespasser - right up until she's handed a court order. The lack of tenancy in this situation matters not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back