Lisence plate visibility in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

a8ksh4

How do the CHP determine if a lisence plate is clearly visible?
Should I expect to have to pay a fine if:

I was ticketed on my motorcycle for not having a light on my plate and for it not being clearly visible.

I do need a light, but the plate can be seen easily from the rear of the bike. The officer that pulled me over said that the way my plate was mounted was typical of people who would run from the police.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging , ( )1 shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:... There's more, but it's not relevant.

a8ksh4 said:
How do the CHP determine if a lisence plate is clearly visible?
Should I expect to have to pay a fine if:

I was ticketed on my motorcycle for not having a light on my plate and for it not being clearly visible.

I do need a light, but the plate can be seen easily from the rear of the bike. The officer that pulled me over said that the way my plate was mounted was typical of people who would run from the police.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging , ( )1 shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:... There's more, but it's not relevant.

If it's not relevant and you meet the requirements of statute, it doesn't matter what the officer says he thinks you should have done. How was your plate mounted exactly? If it was swinging and not mounted in a position that is "clearly visible" then you may have a challenge in court to overcome the charge. You probably don't want to mention the lack of a light as being an excuse (is it required?) and point to the issue of it being mounted properly as opposed to whatever it was claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back