life support right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I hope I can explain this correctly.
I have an aunt who became suddenly ill and is now in the hospital with a tube down her throat and her brain is swelling. The hospital is giving her children little to no information and her husband is keeping things very secretive. Who has a right to stop the life support. And who would her children call to get more better information on stopping anything from the husband doing without their knowledge and consent. The children do have power of attorney ... any help would help please.

The husband is the legal and only next of kin.

If one of the children has a durable medical power of attorney, that could pose a conflict.

I suggest the children speak with the hospital administration, usually a patient or family advocate.

It might be a hospital ombudsman.

I suggest the children inquire of the charge nurse on the mother's floor about their dilemma.

There could be some pushback from her husband.

Everyone should keep in the forefront of their mind that we have a very ill person that is fighting for her life. Those that love this dear woman should try to abide by her wishes first.

It is never over until God says it's over.

We have a son that suffered such a fate in the summer of 2001. He was taken off of life support 10 years ago. He survives today in a coma. He's been in that coma for 10 years this September. Removing life support is meaningless, if God isn't ready to call this woman home.

We have lived this nightmare for 10 years. As bad as it is for us, I can't imagine what my son's world has been!!!

Last edited:
It seriously depends on exactly what kind of POA the child has.

We can't say anything other than that unless we know.

It seriously depends on exactly what kind of POA the child has.

We can't say anything other than that unless we know.

We also don't know if the POA is valid, or has been rescinded.

That is why i suggested the parties to discuss this with the hospital administartion.

They know how to resolve most of these disputes amicably.

Sadly, there are also the "Mary Schiavo" cases! :(

HIPPA regulations ....effect who is giving medical information on a patient..usually the husband will be giving the information and then up to him to give it out , unless patient has signed waiver as to releasing information to specific people.

HIPPA regulations ....effect who is giving medical information on a patient..usually the husband will be giving the information and then up to him to give it out , unless patient has signed waiver as to releasing information to specific people.

It's HIPAA.

And the children appear to have POA - THAT is why we need to more details, because if that's the case they WOULD have the right to certain information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back