Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Liability of party planner for drunk driving accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

washingtonstate

I am planning on having a New Year's Eve party at my place this year and am worried about DUI and DWI laws and any responsibility I might have for drunk driving accidents. I wanted to know what liability the owner of a place might have that is having a party might regarding drunk drivers who get into car accidents. I expect to have at least 25-35 people at the party and probably more. It is an open buffet, beer and other alcohol will be available and I expect everyone to act like adults. People might come and go and I have no way of being able to check each person to make sure they can drive. I also don't think it is my responsibility (and it would be very weird) to require everybody to give me their car keys. I also don't want to take them because then if they get into an accident, I will probably be blamed for not checking every person whose keys I have before they leave. So what could my liability be for DUI and DWI accidents that happen after people leave my party?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back