Negligence, Other Injury Liability and outdoor activites with friends

Onrope

Jurisdiction
Arizona
So here is my concern.
I enjoy canyoneering, this involves hiking, rappelling and swimming. Sometimes I take friends along with me. I've seen recent lawsuits out of California and Arizona were the family's sued the informal leader or the leaders family. Again all informal bunch of friends knowing what they are getting into.
Two things: How do you avoid being sued?
How do you protect your assets i.e houses, 401k etc...?

So here is my concern.
I enjoy canyoneering, this involves hiking, rappelling and swimming. Sometimes I take friends along with me. I've seen recent lawsuits out of California and Arizona were the family's sued the informal leader or the leaders family. Again all informal bunch of friends knowing what they are getting into.
Are you taking minors with you?

If you want to avoid getting sued, don't take anyone with you.

If you do arrange to meet others, make sure you don't provide any equipment to anyone.

You should avoid giving advice to other participants.

Last, but NOT least, don't hold yourself out to be a guide, leader, or nature expert.

You can speak to several insurance agents about "liability insurance".

I've seen recent lawsuits out of California and Arizona were the family's sued the informal leader or the leaders family.

Can you cite these lawsuits or provide links to where you read about them?

How do you avoid being sued?

Don't do anything that might give rise to someone suing you. I've successfully navigated over 50 years without ever being sued.

Depends on what you want to protect them from, but the best way is typically by carrying sufficient insurance coverage (except in the case of 401k and other ERISA accounts, which are exempt under federal law from enforcement of civil money judgments).

Stated differently, if you organize a trip such as you described, there is nothing you can do to prevent one of your friends or a family member of a friend from suing you. Carrying proper insurance coverage is the best way to deal with that unlikely possibility, so speak with your insurance agent.

Back