Lent money to a so called friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihatemoney

I have lent a so called friend of mine a large sum of money which he promised to pay me back in monthly instalments. Six months down the line I still have not received any money. Ive written him letters asking for the money with no luck. I have now sent to my local court, in London, my claim form. Everything has been actioned I am just waiting now. I have been reading up on the forms I have been sent and I do hope im reading these wrong as I do not understand what they are saying. The court can not guarantee you'll get your money even if you win your case. Does that mean they cant guarantee the whole money but if I win I will get it back in monthly instalments. What is the point of paying to going to a court if they cant make him pay. Just seems silly. I have got a very good case as I have been in contact with solicitors. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ihatemoney said:
I have lent a so called friend of mine a large sum of money which he promised to pay me back in monthly instalments. Six months down the line I still have not received any money. Ive written him letters asking for the money with no luck. I have now sent to my local court, in London, my claim form. Everything has been actioned I am just waiting now. I have been reading up on the forms I have been sent and I do hope im reading these wrong as I do not understand what they are saying. The court can not guarantee you'll get your money even if you win your case. Does that mean they cant guarantee the whole money but if I win I will get it back in monthly instalments. What is the point of paying to going to a court if they cant make him pay. Just seems silly. I have got a very good case as I have been in contact with solicitors. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It means that the Court doesn't guarantee that the defendant will pay on that they can give you instruments to get paid. For example, they can order the defendant pay but if he doesn't, you'll have to follow up and ask the court for permission to garnish wages, freeze a bank account, and more. You can also ask the court to add on the costs to do so as part of your judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back