Legitimate Non-Compete Clause?

bfbray2

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
The following clause is included in my severance agreement. I am concerned with the fact that "Restricted Business" is not defined anywhere in the document. Would I be better off asking my employer to redefine this portion of the contract? If I were to sign the document as is, is this portion of the contract enforceable in a court of law? There are other areas within the document that are left undefined, so I'm led to believe this is a poorly executed severance agreement. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

"(a) Restrictions. During the term of this Agreement and for a period of one calendar year immediately following the termination of this Agreement, Employee shall not, directly or indirectly, without the prior written consent Employer, own, manage, operate, join, control, finance or participate in the ownership, management, operation, control or financing of, or be connected as an officer, director, employee, partner, principal, agent, representative, or consultant of any Entity engaged in the Restricted Business."

Last edited:
This is a "get thee a lawyer who knows contract law in your state" question. Not one for a message board. We can not advise based on one paragraph out of a document.

Anytime you have an agreement like this your best bet is to take it to an employment or contract attorney in your state for review & advice.

Back