Legally Moving Out at 17 in Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandiMS

I am a 17 year old female living in Missouri. I was child born out of wedlock. My parents separated, but they never went through the judicial court system to decide custody. Of course, my mother got automatic custody of me, but after a few years of an unstable leaving environment, Family Services got involved, and I know longer live with my mother. It was never court ordered that I move out of my mother's house. My mother asked my grandparents if I could live with them, which is also the location that my father resides at. Now I live with my grandparents and my father. My father is very emotional abusive and my friend, out of concern, offered for my to move in with her and her family. I am practically family there and would only be a mile from my current location with my dad and grandparents. I guess my question is: Can I legally move out?

I know that at 17 I can no longer be tried in a juvenile court. I just was wondering with all the variables that play in this case if I can move. I don't want my friends parent's to face legal issues and be tried. I just want to know if this is possible.

If your parents give you permission, you can. If they do not, you can't.

No, you live where you want, with whom you want the moment you turn 18 years old.
That's when you reach majority.
As long as you're not an adult, you live wherever mom or dad directs.
Your emancipation is coming, hold on, only a few more months to go!!!

Missouri is one of those states where if a 17 year old runs away (because that's what it is when you are a minor and leaves home without permission), the police *may* be reluctant to force you back if you are in a safe place and your parents know where you are. That does NOT mean that it is legal for you to move out, that your parents and/or grandparents, whoever has legal custody of you, cannot personally drag you back home (and take appropriate steps to see that you do not leave again) or that the people you run away to cannot face legal charges.

If you want to move out without any risk of being dragged home or your friends hauled into court, wait till your 18th birthday.

You'll be 18 before you know it (believe it or not). Until then, as noted, you can't move out without fear of being made to move back home.

This is rather unfortunate to hear. I have been subject to this emotional abuse for 8 years now, not counting the awful situations I was involved in with my mother, and I was hoping to get free.

But since there has been no legal decision on custody, who would the custody go to? My grandma was the one asked to take care of me by my mother, and she would understand if I explained the situation to her (I do live with her, but for the majority of the year she is not home, so she does not see what all I go through).

That was the main part that I thought would be a possibility of being an exception to the 18 majority ruling. Since I have never been legally assigned to either parent, doesn't that kind of make me emancipated for lack of a better word?

Thank you for your reply, by the way.

My birthday is in 4 months, so maybe I'll get out during the summer (I leave for university next fall).

This is rather unfortunate to hear. I have been subject to this emotional abuse for 8 years now, not counting the awful situations I was involved in with my mother, and I was hoping to get free.

But since there has been no legal decision on custody, who would the custody go to? My grandma was the one asked to take care of me by my mother, and she would understand if I explained the situation to her (I do live with her, but for the majority of the year she is not home, so she does not see what all I go through).

That was the main part that I thought would be a possibility of being an exception to the 18 majority ruling. Since I have never been legally assigned to either parent, doesn't that kind of make me emancipated for lack of a better word?

Thank you for your reply, by the way.

My birthday is in 4 months, so maybe I'll get out during the summer (I leave for university next fall).

The best option is to sit it out for 120 odd days.
You might not get in trouble, but one or both parents could make trouble for the kind people who would willingly allow you to live with them.
No need to bring hurt or harm to good people, is it?
If you are being molested, abused, neglected, or in any way harmed; call "911" or tell a teacher, counselor, or administrator at your school.
You can also tell a firefighter, medical personnel (nurses or physicians), religious leaders, or any adult you trust.
Hang in there, spring will be here quicker than any of us can imagine.
It happens every year.

If you are being abused (in any form) your best option is to report the abuse to Children's services, a school counselor or any trusted adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back