Legally Binding?

William72

Jurisdiction
New York
If someone makes a video statement saying that they are going to give me x% of a award is that legally binding?

If someone makes a video statement saying that they are going to give me x% of a award is that legally binding?

First of all, you claim to be posting about a matter in NY state.

In reality, you're posting from Jonesboro, AR.

Locations usually matter, mate.

However, in your example, what you've asked about MIGHT be a promise.

What it isn't is a contract.

If it isn't a contract, the person owes you nothing.

Why?

Contracts GENERALLY require two elements to be legally valid:
1 = All parties must be in agreement (after an offer has been made by one party and acknowledged by the other).

2 = Something of value must be exchanged -- such as cash, services, or goods (or a promise to exchange such an item) -- for something else of value.

Your example is simply a promise (at best).
Upon greater scrutiny, it might NOT even be a promise, just a spontaneous utterance.
Whatever it is, even if it is a promise, garden variety promises, are unenforceable at law.

Depends on all of the relevant facts and circumstances that you didn't provide. For example, what is your relationship with the person who made the statement? What does it mean to give you a percentage of an "award"? What sort of award? What are you giving the person in exchange? I may have additional questions, but let's start with those.

The video does not state what I am to do. But the agreement was for me to assist the person with certain bills and other expenses as they came up over a period of a year and a halfish. The award was a jury award over medical malpractice.

Last edited:
The video does not state what I am to do. But the agreement was for me to assist the person with certain bills and other expenses as they came up over a period of a year and a selfish. The award was a jury award over medical malpractice.
I think you may have problems with that. If the other party is not forthcoming with repayment, then you may wish to consult with an attorney (or simply sue the other guy in small claims court, if the amount is small enough).

The video does not state what I am to do. But the agreement was for me to assist the person with certain bills and other expenses as they came up over a period of a year and a halfish. The award was a jury award over medical malpractice.

One would have to view the video and get a bit more information. However, it sounds like you might have a verbal contract, so consult with an attorney about the advisability of suing.

Since I am in Arkansas and then person is in the New York....I'm assuming to contact a New York Lawyer.

Tell me something. Did that person actually receive the award? Has that person already reneged on that promise? If yes, have you made a written demand for the X dollars you think you are entitled to? If yes, when? If no, it would be a good idea to get your specific demand in writing.

Back