Copyright Legality of an Add-On/Enhancement for Another Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riaan

Hello,

I have a question relating to a software product (created by me) that is designed as an add-on/enhancement to another software product (which I do not own).
- My product's enhancements include providing completely new functionality, adding to existing functionality, improving ease of use, enabling remote access via a custom web application, creating supplemental information on their product, and providing additional value in general.
- My product tries to fit in with the general style of their product so that it can provide a consistent experience to the user. It makes references to things within their product (e.g. referring to potentially copyrighted names, terminology, images, navigatable locations within it, and so on) for illustrative/descriptive purposes in the documentation and in order to implement the enhancements (e.g. new items in a menu may use their icons for consistency). Some of these materials are shown outside of their application window, for example during remote access of their application.
- My product makes absolutely no 'physical' changes to their product (it 'sits next to' their product), except temporarily during runtime when the enhancements are applied.

After discovering some previously unknown details in their EULA (End User License Agreement), I am now unsure whether my software is entirely legal and what my rights are.
- Their EULA states that I have to "agree not to commercially exploit the software". Does this mean that I can not create something separate/independent from scratch to enhance it? Is it significant that my product has no purpose without their product?
- They further require me not to "decompile, disassemble, or prepare derivative works based on, or otherwise modify the software, in whole or in part". Does this prevent me from creating an add-on, or are they referring to someone changing and repackaging their product as something else? I do have to partially decompile their product only for the purpose of finding a suitable location to 'hook'/attach my product to (since they do not natively support add-ons).

My concerns are related to whether I have the right to create and sell an add-on/enhancement for something I do not own, and whether it can reference potentially copyrighted materials for its operation? The enhancements are completely original/different from the features contained in their product. My product can not possibly damage their sales as it is dependent on their product and its sole purpose is to improve it. If anything, it would boost their sales.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice that you can give me.

Last edited:
Given that Blizzard and EA (for example) have successfully sued people who are basically doing the same thing as you, I'd be thinking of a different career path. As written, the EULA is actually very clear and it would be a slam-dunk for them.

A copyright infringement suit can bury you financially. It doesn't matter who wins, really - they'll just bury you with court costs. The law is on their side though, and they can be awarded damages.

You remember the Diablo II cheat? It's still around, but the folk who made it aren't happy these days...and Blizzard has developed a tool which will (not might...will) detect a cheat, run it back to Blizzard and lock out your account in about half a second.

It's unfortunate that the law is so different for software. Imagine if a company could get sued for (e.g.) making seat covers for cars.

Thanks for your advice.

The NFL as well as the teams themselves are also rather insistent when a fake or unauthorized item..like a car seat..pops up and they do tend to jump on it rather quickly.

See where I'm going with this? :)

Patent services.

The NFL as well as the teams themselves are also rather insistent when a fake or unauthorized item..like a car seat..pops up and they do tend to jump on it rather quickly.

See where I'm going with this? :)

Let me try to make it clear,the invention or idea is what you think on your own.For example:suppose you developed an app that has some unique feature,but will be supported by some particular platform like phone or computer, but these are not your invention,is'nt it mean that you are not authorized to publish it?
Yes you have the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back