Legal Will In New York State

Bob S

Jurisdiction
New York
My Name is Bob and I live in upstate NY. My health is poor and I want to make out a will. I'm wondering if I need to go through a lawyer, or whether I can just write down who I want to have what, and have it notarized and witnessed. I have very little to leave to anybody other than my personal property and a mobile home on an acre of land. I'd appreciate it if you would tell me what needs to be done to make sure my family and friends have what I want them to when I'm gone, according to New York State law. If it needs to be done through a lawyer, can you tell me how much it costs? Thank you.

Based on what you said, you can do it yourself, and get a friend or relative to help you.

Cost?

Your time and NO money, as in FREE!

Your NY state courts offers information on drafting a will:

Last Will and Testament | NY CourtHelp

The NY state bar association offers information and free down-loadable templates to draft your will:

NYSBA | Downloadable Forms

Happy reading and writing.

Based on what you said, you can do it yourself, and get a friend or relative to help you.

Cost?

Your time and NO money, as in FREE!

Your NY state courts offers information on drafting a will:

Last Will and Testament | NY CourtHelp

The NY state bar association offers information and free down-loadable templates to draft your will:

NYSBA | Downloadable Forms

Happy reading and writing.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this, I appreciate it.

Bob

I want to make out a will. I'm wondering if I need to go through a lawyer, or whether I can just write down who I want to have what, and have it notarized and witnessed.

The basic requirements for a valid will under New York law are easily found with a simple google search.

If it needs to be done through a lawyer, can you tell me how much it costs?

Call a handful of local attorneys and ask. I imagine there are lawyers in Manhattan who will charge several thousands of dollars for a basic will and lawyers in more rural parts of the state who will charge only a few hundred dollars.

Back