Legal options for non-resident to pursue small claims case against US-based agency

FairPlay

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I'm looking for some advice on a legal matter I'm facing. I hired a US-based agency (Kansas, Missouri). Unfortunately, they did not deliver as promised, so we agreed on a 50% refund. However, it's been over five weeks, and despite signing a refund and non-disparagement agreement, they still haven't paid me back.

To make things worse, I'm not a US citizen or resident, and I'm not currently located in the country, so it's tough for me to handle this on my own. I'd love to file a small claims court case, but it's not possible for me to do so as a non-resident while being abroad.

The amount in question is only $2500, but it's a lot of money for me, and I can't afford to spend a lot on legal fees. I recently found out that someone else filed a complaint about this agency, and it seems like they may be engaging in bad business practices.

Any advice or guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

'd love to file a small claims court case, but it's not possible for me to do so as a non-resident while being abroad.

It might not be impossible, but it certainly will be extremely difficult. In the end, you'd still have to appear in person before the small claims court where you filed the lawsuit.

Bottom line, you might be better off by charging this unfortunate event up to the dues we all pay as members of the "school of hard knocks"!!!!

Call the small claims court in the city where the business is located and see if they will allow appearance by video conferencing.

Long shot but you won't know if you don't ask.

we agreed on a 50% refund . . . and . . . sign[ed] a refund and non-disparagement agreement

Does this agreement contain a provision that provides for recovery of attorneys' fees in the event of a breach?

I'd love to file a small claims court case, but it's not possible for me to do so as a non-resident while being abroad.

Why do you think it's not possible?

Any advice or guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'll await your answers to the questions I asked.

Back