Legal notice on invoice.

snoopy329

Jurisdiction
North Dakota
I was wondering if I could have some sort of a notice on the invoices I give my clients stating that if they don't pay within a certain amount of days, say 45 days as an example, that I will start a lien process, or something to that effect. As a general contractor, this would be a mechanics lien. Is this legal to have this on an invoice?

I was wondering if I could have some sort of a notice on the invoices I give my clients stating that if they don't pay within a certain amount of days, say 45 days as an example, that I will start a lien process, or something to that effect. As a general contractor, this would be a mechanics lien. Is this legal to have this on an invoice?

Sure, you could do that, but why bother?

It isn't customer friendly and makes you appear money hungry.

Everyone knows if a contractor isn't paid, a contractors lien can be placed against their real property.

None of that gets you what you really want, MONEY.

Be proactive, not reactive, conduct a credit check prior to signing the contract. That way, you lessen getting stiffed. No matter what you do, unless some dummy pays you before you start, there will always be disputes.

I agree with the Judge. The carrot is better than the stick.

Your contract should specify when you get paid, with the final payment on completion of the work.

Then, when the job is done you have the client check it out, present your invoice, and ask for the money.

No reason to have any kind delay after completion.

Back