Legal Emancipation For FAFSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElissaRae

I've lived in Texas all my life, lived under my mother's roof till I was 17, graduated and went to UIW in San Antonio with help from financial aid. After my freshman year, we had a falling out and I no longer pursued a relationship with her, which I completed understood I was 18 on my own, working, going to school. I stopped attending because when time for FAFSA came around I wasnt granted financial aid because I didn't file my mother's information. I went to the financial aid office, I called FAFSA and explained to them my situation, not a single person could help. I am now 21, and I recently tried once again to file for financial aid, no luck, their explaination was:
1. You are not 25.
2. You are not married.
3. You do not have a child (dependent)
I took offense with the whole mentality of the FAFSA rep I spoke to ... so what they said essentially was because I am independent 21 yr old young woman, not depending on a second income (per say a husband), and I have been responsible enough not to have a child, I couldn't get any help.

I have struggled for three years, working two or three jobs at a time, jus trying to save for school, but living expenses have completed taken over and the reality is that yes, living on my own is expensive but I have made it this far to stop now, and the decision to leave my mother's was the best I've made.

Also, forgot to mention, when I spoke to FAFSA they wanted documentation and a letter from her giving an explanation to the situation, I mentioned to them once again that the falling out resulted in an "I DONT TALK TO HER ANYMORE, I DONT INVOLVE MYSELF AT ALL" explanation.
I even tried the military route n struggled to get my Social Security Card, birth Cert. from her, because she didnt want anything to do with helping me out.

If there is anyone who can help with advice to how I can go about being Legally Emancipated, please anything will help.

The rules are in place to stop all the free financial aid. If you do not qualify, you need to wait until you are 25 to get the government to foot part of your bill.

You are emancipated.

In fact, you are an adult.

FAFSA isn't a right, per se.

They have their own rules.

I suggest you find other schools and apply to them.

Some schools are not as nosy, and will accept your representation that you have lived away form home for a certain period of time.

That time period varies by the school.

Yours isn't a legal problem, its just a bureaucracy problem.

They have what you want, so you play by their rules.

By their determination, you are not legally entitled to receive education subsidies. As the law does not guarantee you a post secondary education at tax payer expense, your choices are to wait until you qualify or pay your own bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back