Legal advice for State of Kansas appreciated

Gdeann

Jurisdiction
Kansas
My brother passed away a few months ago requesting me as the executrix to his estate.
He was married at the time of death and they had a post nup in place. The spouse is now trying to declare almost all of his assets as joint possessions. This is being done because of a gray area in the post nup stating once money goes into a joint account, then the property paid for with that money is now joint possession. This is what I'm being told anyways.
In his will, he left her household possessions at his farmstead and some TOD POD accounts. Then the rest of his estate went to me. I believe most of the land will be okay because it was paid for before he entered the picture and his name is the only name on the deeds.
This is my biggest concern. Almost 5 years ago, I signed a warranty deed selling him a small amount of land. He built two very nice buildings on the land with a verbal understanding that if something happened to him, it would go back to me. Which, as the will is written, I inherited all of his property.
She is now saying the buildings were built using funds from a joint checking account. She is wanting me to give her 100% possession of both buildings and the land, then in turn, she will give up trying to get any if the other property.
I really want to be able to keep the two buildings for several reasons. This was land that belonged to my parents, its close to my home, he had so much love in building them and getting them ready for use and I know his true wishes were for them to go to me.
Does she really have any legal ground to stand on? Also, if so, should the amount in question be for just "her half" of the buildings?
Also, the land went back to me, she never paid for any of it from the joint checking.
So now we have potentially my land with possibly 50% of the buildings being hers.
Please help me try to understand how I should approach this.
Thank you so much for your time.

My condolences upon the passing of your brother.

The help you require is beyond free advice on the Internet.
I suggest you discuss the legal options available to you with a couple trusted attorneys in your county.

My condolences upon the passing of your brother.

The help you require is beyond free advice on the Internet.
I suggest you discuss the legal options available to you with a couple trusted attorneys in your county.
Thank you so much for the reply. I actually have an attorney working on the case, but so far our discussios have amounted to a few phone calls and emails. I am meeting with him later this week. I was just wondering how prepared I need to be if this progresses into a long legal battle. Financially, I do not have the funds that she does.

Thank you so much for the reply. I actually have an attorney working on the case, but so far our discussios have amounted to a few phone calls and emails. I am meeting with him later this week. I was just wondering how prepared I need to be if this progresses into a long legal battle. Financially, I do not have the funds that she does.

If the land proves to be yours,all appurtenances attached thereto are also yours in FEE SIMPLE to withasyou wish.

The issue tends tobe the will.
First of all, a will must located.
Second that will must be probated, meaning by your probate court in the county where the property lies.

As for any promises give to you, unless those promises were memorialized into the will, they're meaningless.

Anything agreed to regarding real estate, absent a contract in writing, wont be worth the paper it wasn't written on.

Last, but not least, if your brother and his spouse owned property in both names with right of survivorship; tends to resolve disputes in favor of the surviving spouse.

Your lawyer can better explain it to you.

Thank you again for your response. I knew where to locate the will and his estate is in probate. There is no question to any property titled to both parties or to any accounts he left her with rights of survivorship. I understand that property goes to her.
She's using a "fuzzy" area in the post nup saying that it is joint property if paid for out of a joint account. My brother would transfer "his" money over to the account to pay bills or purchase items.
So, even though the land was clearly deeded to him only, she's wanting the buildings because she is saying they were paid for with a joint account.
Confusing to say the least.
This same woman deposited a $22,000 check (deposited 5 days after his death) made out to him. He had been holding the check for a few months to pay a loan off at the bank at the end of the year. I believe that check should of went to his estate to pay creditors.
Let's just say I will never be an executor of an estate again. :-(
Thank you again for your advice and input.

If it looks like it's going to be a long drawn out battle, and if there are "fuzzy" areas with verbal agreements only, then it might best to make some compromises and settle with her. With your lawyer's advise and assistance of course.

Back