Leasor removed thermostat control for air conditioning and heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3star

I lease a restaurant lounge in Florida USA adjacent to a condo-hotel, the leaser is the condo association. All utilities are included in the lease. The President of the association ordered and removed thermostat control for air conditioning and heating from our building and somehow has it set at 78 to 80 degrees which is uncomfortable for our workers and guests. We are losing business, people are leaving because of this. Can they do this by Law? What can I do to get the thermostat control back again?

Remember it is a condo-hotel 153 owners pay maintenance fee and the front desk (lobby) is leased by an outside company. The air conditioning is at least 68-70 degrees in the lobby and the 153 owners can adjust the thermostat control in their units as needed. Can they just single me out like that or would they have to control every body's air?

2 months ago they placed a locked cover over the thermostat control and set it at 72 degrees and ordered us that it cannot be removed. This wasn't good enough, I guess. That was not good for us because when there was 50-60 people in the restaurant the temperature rouse to about 80 degrees. Also at this time the President of the association changed the locks on our door that goes into the lobby of the hotel without giving us a key, the door was used for the people staying at the hotel to enter the restaurant. They did this when we were closed, I trusted them with a key to our building in case of emergency they can enter when we were closed.

Are we being harassed by this President of the association? He is doing this on his own, I don't think it is the association, I beleive he is doing this for his own personal reason, maybe to try to take over our business, I don't know. Can I do something to him personally?

I can go on and on. I been here 4 years they don't do any repair maintenance as outlined in our Lease. I pay on time and have 6 years remaining on this lease..

Any Reply will be Thankful.

Last edited:
Send the association a certified letter with all the complaints you have listed on your posting and demand action. If no response, consult with an attorney on what to do next. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you presutin for your reply,

Yes, I will consult with an attorney. Some personal knowledge and reseach will help me long the way.

Florida Statute 83.201 is for a residental lease,
Can you help find a Florida Statute for a commercial lease?

Florida Statute 83.201, Notice to landlord of failure to maintain or repair. This statue states, rent can be withheld until repairs are made...

This is a lease on the building for commercial use.
I can not find the Florida Statute for a commercial lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back