Breaking a Lease Leasing a room in a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpygoth

My friend was told last night that she had to move out of the room she is renting in a house. The living conditions are ok, except for the heating and air. Its been 62 degrees in the house at night for the past week and a half, and he won't let her change the thermostat, he actually took the battery out of the one in the hall, so she couldn't bring it up to at least 70. He monitors everything on his computer and changes the temp and watches what she's doing on his security cameras, she knew they were there when she moved in, and has no problem with it, but he has been abusing the privilege, by changing the thermostat when he sees her go in the hall, to check what she brings into the house, like a space heater, I let her borrow mine, since the room is so cold. He doesn't want it in the house, since it can cause a fire. I understand that, but the room is about 62 all the time especially at night.
Help~

In most/many states it is required that in cold weather the temperature is set at least 68 degrees. She can contact her local tenant rights group & run it past them.

She can't be required to move out until the landlord follows the normal eviction process.

Why stay where you're unwanted?

That said, she can stay and wait until a judge evicts her.

But, as an adult, rent your own hotel room.

Or, rent an apartment.

Heck, I'd work 3 jobs to have my own apartment.

Who wants to live at the whim of a pervert or a tyrant???

The country has all been but destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back