Lease Renewal vs Notice to quit

LoveVsLaw

Jurisdiction
Michigan
In may I recieved a notice with a choice to renew my lease or opt for a month to month lease, for my tenancy which is to expire on July 31. I opted for a lease renewal and signed for one. Today I recieved a new notice for lease expiration and a decision to NOT ALLOW ME the option to resign for another year lease. In the letter I was also served with a notice to quit and vacate premises on or before July 31. Is this legal?! If the landlord is lawfully capable of offering and then taking back their offer for my tenancy, is there anything I can do legally to gain more time in my current Residence?! I am due for a baby on July 30 with no resources to move within 30 days, as I am high risk for my pregnancy, so I am also exercising my FMLA, not working as i have been preparing for the new baby. I have very limited money flow to secure first month's rent and security deposit for a new place. Thanks in advance for your advice.

In may I recieved a notice with a choice to renew my lease or opt for a month to month lease, for my tenancy which is to expire on July 31. I opted for a lease renewal and signed for one. Today I recieved a new notice for lease expiration and a decision to NOT ALLOW ME the option to resign for another year lease. In the letter I was also served with a notice to quit and vacate premises on or before July 31. Is this legal?!

In Michigan a lease for a fixed period expires without notice unless the terms of the lease say otherwise. I find nothing in the Michigan statutes that prohibits the landlord from offering a renewal and then rescinding the offer and a 30 day notice to quit is certainly legal.

If the landlord is lawfully capable of offering and then taking back their offer for my tenancy, is there anything I can do legally to gain more time in my current Residence?!

"Legally"? You mean without the landlord's cooperation and consent?

No.

Did you ask for an extension?

I am due for a baby on July 30 with no resources to move within 30 days, as I am high risk for my pregnancy, so I am also exercising my FMLA, not working as i have been preparing for the new baby. I have very limited money flow to secure first month's rent and security deposit for a new place.

Sorry, but you shouldn't be bringing a child into this world unless you are FULLY financial capable of affording one. Very irresponsible. Where's your husband (child's father) in all this?

In may I recieved a notice with a choice to renew my lease or opt for a month to month lease, for my tenancy which is to expire on July 31. I opted for a lease renewal and signed for one. Today I recieved a new notice for lease expiration and a decision to NOT ALLOW ME the option to resign for another year lease. In the letter I was also served with a notice to quit and vacate premises on or before July 31. Is this legal?! If the landlord is lawfully capable of offering and then taking back their offer for my tenancy, is there anything I can do legally to gain more time in my current Residence?! I am due for a baby on July 30 with no resources to move within 30 days, as I am high risk for my pregnancy, so I am also exercising my FMLA, not working as i have been preparing for the new baby. I have very limited money flow to secure first month's rent and security deposit for a new place. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Start by reading your lease.
Was your response to renew in May in the format required to renew as mentioned in your lease?

If it was, you might already have renewed, and the LL's denial TODAY IN JULY came too late to legally be useful.

As for the notice to vacate, that isn't an eviction, the matter of proper renewal aside.

If you aren't out by 31 July, your LL will probably bring an eviction action through the courts.

If you can't leave by 31 July, make sure your Aigust rent is paid in full by the due date.

Now, if you're currently behind in rent, none of the hope I've alluded to will matter.

Why?

Because, the basis of the eviction will be for unpaid rent in the past.

If your rent is current, and you'll be paying on time for August, call a legal aid society and see what you can learn.

You can also visit a couple lawyers, ask about your tenancy issue for 20-30 minutes for free. Most lawyers will discuss a problem during an initial consult for free.

Good luck.

Back