Lease exprires landlord saying I need a agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace

Hi,
I am currently in a lease that ends in January. I have just given my written notice that I won't be renewing my lease when it expires. However, my landlord called me and said that I need my roommate to sign a release form letting me out of my lease when it is up. How is that possible if it even is possible? I have already given notice and I know my roommate won't sign the form for me. Is this even a real thing or is my landlord trying to make me stay? Help me!!! I am in South Dakota

You don't need to do anything. If your roommate wants to stay it will become a month to month lease if no new lease is signed. The landlord will likely want roommate to sign into a new agreement with you gone.
However... If you are expecting any kind if refund from a deposit then you may need to make sure your roommate signs a new lease, otherwise the deposit can be held until your roommate finally vacates. Roommate should be prepared to pay a new deposit if you receive a refund.

Hi,
I am currently in a lease that ends in January. I have just given my written notice that I won't be renewing my lease when it expires. However, my landlord called me and said that I need my roommate to sign a release form letting me out of my lease when it is up. How is that possible if it even is possible? I have already given notice and I know my roommate won't sign the form for me. Is this even a real thing or is my landlord trying to make me stay? Help me!!! I am in South Dakota

Don't sign anything, other than making sure you give the landlord your WRITTEN notice that you're vacating in time. It appears you've done that, so save copies. Mail it certified delivery, return receipt requested, PROOF OF DELIVERY!!!!!

Keep that if things grow chilly.
The deposit might become a problem, but don't allow that to worry you.
Make sure you have proof (keep proof) of paying your rent on time, as the weeks pass until December arrives.
Take pictures of your living space the day you move out, so fake damage claims can be rebutted.
Ask for a walk through on the day you leave.
If he fails to show, document, and do your own walk through, keeping your proof.

Here's a very informative document published by your state's AG.

If I were you, I'd pay exttra special attention to pages 5-6 :

http://atg.sd.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=m2K4P4Tak68=&tabid=525

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back