Layoff Of Employee over 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlme254

I am an African-American female, age 53 and I was laid off today from the 10th largest bank in the midwest. They stated it was because of a reorganization but my position was given to a white male.

I believe I was let go because I told my manager that I wanted to retire in 6 years.

My severance package was for 12 weeks pay. Should I have an attorney review my severance package before I sign it? Are they allowed to say they are eliminating my position but it is clear they gave it to someone else? I have no performance issues, many success stories with my department. It is the only department that has succeeded while the others are failing.

Nothing in the law says an employee over 50 cannot be fired. It only says you can't be fired BECAUSE you are over 50. The same goes for gender and race.

If it's because you indicated you want to retire in a few years, then it's not because of your age, race or gender right? In which case, the gender and race of your replacement is immaterial.

I am not questioning the reace/gender but they can let you go because you said you wanted to retire in 5 or 6 years?

You have no way of proving you were let go because of that anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back