Late Pay and withheld records

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishpaul

I recently started working as a marketing representative for a tax company.

When I received my first paycheck everything was fine, however, other employees had the suspicion of not being paid for all the hours they worked. Since they did not have a copy of the time sheets they couldn't prove this.

With this in mind I had planned to make copies of my weekly time sheets at the end of the week.

The last day of the pay period when I had planned on making a copy of my time sheet our company switched to time cards and had relocated the old time sheets to the main office.

I have requested a copy of the time sheets on several occasions and still not received them and finally today my manager told me that it was because of a miscommunication... he thought that I was going to drive to pick them up myself

So now not only do I not have copies of the hours I worked, but then this happened:

Friday February 5th, 2010 (Payday)
All employees at my store had to wait over 12 hours for our paycheck.
2 of us (myself and another employee) received a direct deposit slip (with bold letters that say, "This is not a check") even though neither of us have a bank account

I work at 7AM tomorrow morning and I can't afford to not work in protest... but I can't work for free and I still don't have a check or my records.

I know that they can't legally do this, but the bottom line is that they did.

Here's what I want to know:
The hours on my "this is not a check" pay-stub say that I worked 61 hours but my manager tells me that's incorrect (seeing as I don't have a copy of my hours, I cant verify one way or the other); How can I guarantee that my paycheck gives me the hours I deserve and can I get paid for 61 hours if I didn't work those hours?

What do I do when I go into work in the morning if my records and paycheck aren't there?

Am I entitled to any extra pay for the wait and inconvenience?

How can I prevent this from happening to myself and other employees?

Thank you for your time, I apologize for the poor grammar (I blame my frustration) and please include any other information that might be helpful.

-Paul

If you were not paid on time, you can file a complaint with the DLSE. Could this "payment" have been on a paycard? You would have had to affirmatively agree.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Paydays.htm

Relative to the time cards:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm
I would note, however, that the FAQ also says the employer has 21 days after the request to comply.

You can always keep your own records, a paper notebook would be fine; just don't do it on the company's time or equipment.

The manager says 61 hours is wrong? How is it "wrong" and how does he know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back