Landscape Job Gone Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelenkasherts

I went to a landscape company for the purpose of getting estimates for a landscape job. After talking with the landscaper, I was told that they were very busy and would not be able to do any work on my property for five months. I decided that wasn't a problem and I told them that I was interested in them doing the work. After about two weeks, I decided that I did not want them to do the work. I called the company and cancelled the job. I came home from work the same day to find that the landscaper had done the work, without a contract and without contacting me first. I called the company and explained to the bookkeeper that I did not want the work done. She began yelling and screaming on the phone and slammed the phone down. After about two months, I came home to find that there was a bill taped to my front door for $550. Since I was tired of the entire ordeal, I went ahead and paid the money. I never heard from the business again. Eight months later, I get a knock at the door and I am served with papers from small claims court in the amount of $3500.00! The landscaper that did the job went to Iraq after the job was done. He wrote a letter to the company stating that he did a $3500 job on my front yard. There was no written contract and nothing signed. All I have are all of the estimates given at the time of our first meeting. What do I do?

Are the estimates in the amount of $ 550 or 3500? Do you still have the bill that was taped to your door? A receipt, cancelled check?

If yes, I don't see how he can prevail in court.

I have the receipt that was taped to the door. I also have the estimates that range from $550-4,000. I also have the cancelled check. The business is saying that they have nothing in their computers about a $550 estimate and they are saying that the bill I have is false.

I just don't understand how they have a leg to stand on. It is my word against the landscapers.

Hm, this sounds pretty fishy. If you have the original bill and it is clearly a bill from this business, and the check, present it all to the judge together with your story.

The day when you called them to revoke/repudiate, had they done the work before you called or after you called?

They came after I called. They also claim that the bill that I have, with their letterhead on it, has been altered in some way.

The judge ruled in their favor with a statement from the landscaper who is in Iraq. I have filed an appeal. I wonder whether or not I should hire an attorney?

well, if they won the first round I fear you definitely should consult an attorney before going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back