Landlords Insurance claim denial (Malicioous damage, loss of rent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Good Morning All,

I have just joined this website and hope that you are able to assist me with an ongoing dispute I have with my insurance company.

I have full Landlords insurance cover including loss of rent cover (up to 20 percent of buildings cover amount). Last year in November my former tenants left the property in a terrible state with windows broken, doors smashed, kitchen torn apart, cupboards broken etc and water damage due to a leak which may have been caused maliciously. The upshot of all this was that the property was unsafe to let out due to dangerous flooring in the kitchen and living room on top of extensive damage everywhere else. The property took 4 months to repair and rent back out (this was achieved in March 2018) and was done mostly without the help of the insurance company and the raising of funds privately.

The insurance company in question has in my opinion done everything possible to avoid paying what is due. First off all they initially rejected all claims of malicious or accidental damage, all claims for loss of rent and metered services and did not commit to paying anything for the escape of water claim. I made the company aware of all the issues and problems yet they did not settle the escape of water claim till February 2018 (3 months later) and at this point denied everything else. After a lengthy complaints battle they admitted to responsibility for the damaged flooring in the kitchen and paid a small amount in May 2018. Yet they still did not admit to responsibility for the loss or rent or malicious damage. However after extensive research and lengthy emails they have now agreed to the following.

To pay 1 months worth of loss of rent (Instead of the 4 months I am asking for). They have also rejected my claims for metered services and the cost of re letting the property. This is strange as they have now admitted liability but won't pay in full.

To pay for the replacement of 2 out of the 5 damaged double glazed windows / frames (I am asking for all 5). They have admitted 2 windows were broken maliciously but refuse to agree the other 3 were.

To pay me £50 compensation. I feel this is woefully low considering the level of stress and financial impact caused.

I am asking them to pay for all 4 months of loss of rent considering the fact that it is now eight months since the claim was started and it has still not been in full and took me 4 months to get the property rented independently. Similarly I want them to pay for all the windows and also increase the compensation amount. Having read through the insurance documents in detail I am sure I am covered but could do with some advice as to how I should proceed. They have told me they will send me a cheque now for the amount they agree to and I can go to the financial ombudsman with regard to any points of my claim if I am not happy.

Do you agree that the best way forward is the ombudsman and is there any other advice you can offer?

Thank you for taking the time to read this through, it is much appreciated.

We discuss the laws of the United States and its territories.

None of our posters know anything about the laws of our former colony, Great Britain and the United Kingdom.

Enjoy your freedom, mate.

Do you agree that the best way forward is the ombudsman and is there any other advice you can offer?

FWIW, I suggest you consult a solicitor who specializes in actions against insurance companies.

However, if your UK insurance is anything like the US landlord insurance I handled as a property claims rep, my guess is that a lot of the conditions caused by your tenants is not going to be covered. I disappointed a lot of landlords in my time.

I had similar issues with tenants when I owned rentals and had to eat those costs myself. It's the risk you take when you own rentals. I got rid of them 20 years ago and never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back