Landlord not giving proper notice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singlemama

I have lived at my house for 3 years. The first 2 years I had a lease then it went to month to month because she was considering selling. The last month we have had some issues ( she entered without notice and looked thru my closets etc.) . My rent is due on the 1st of each month. Today I get a certified letter and its a notice that she is selling the house and to consider this my 30 day notice and I need to be out June 1st. The letter was mailed May 3rd and I got it May 6th. I do not feel this is legal notice. Does she not have to serve me by the 1st of the month?

She can ask you to leave.

She can't force you out or make you leave.

If you don't vacate by 1 June, she'll have to bring an eviction action against you.

You can ignore her, or send her your 30 day notice.

If I were you, I'd try to be out by 1 July.

You are also responsible for rent until the day you vacate.

Item "B" addresses your tenancy and proper notice.

This website answers most of your questions for Ohio.

http://www.ohiolandlordtenant.com/faq20.html

Thank you for your response. I do intend to be out by July 31st and will pay rent. I dont have a problem with moving because I knew that was her plan but I just wanted more than 24 days notice... Thank you for the great link also!

Thank you for your response. I do intend to be out by July 31st and will pay rent. I dont have a problem with moving because I knew that was her plan but I just wanted more than 24 days notice... Thank you for the great link also!

If you want out by 31 July, make sure you notify her no
later than 30 June (in writing, not email) by certified or registered letter, return receipt - proof of delivery; (or via FedEx overnight), and keep your proof of delivery!

If I were you, I'd tell her I'm leaving on 31 July and serve her notice immediately!!!!!

If she wants you out earlier, tell her you could leave by that date if she waived the rent, gave you your deposit back, plus a $1,000 early termination fee!!

Substitute the financial details that suit you. Those are just my "what if" numbers!!!

But, make sure you get everything in writing and signed by both of you!!!!

Otherwise, stay with plan "A".

Last edited:
Wow thanks for your advice. I had no idea you could request to be bought out of you lease. I never would have thought of that. It certainly would make rushing to get out easier to swallow. Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back