Breaking a Lease Landlord Issues: Getting out of lease early

Status
Not open for further replies.

samizukami

My roommate and I moved into our current apartment a few months ago, and from the beginning our landlord has been extremely rude to us. We tried to brush it off at first, but he always comes into our apartment un-announced (Once while I was home alone in the shower). He has both of our phone numbers, but without letting us know he will still come into our apartment. Everytime we have issues in our apartment, he either pretends to come fix it and blames us later, or doesn't fix it at all. Now, he's saying we damaged our property, because I put up the Japanese flag on my wall. He doesn't respect the fact that it's part of our culture to take shoes off in our apartment, and laughs it off. Even when someone went through my mail, and opened packages being sent to our apartment he told us that it was an issue for the postal office. I really don't think he cares about our safety, but my biggest problem is that we are the only not white people living in the entire complex (There are 8 apartments). He has never treated anyone else this way, I know a few others living here. He came this morning to tell us that since we always have people in our apartment, he is going to evict us. I'm happy to leave, but what will that mean for us?

My roommate and I moved into our current apartment a few months ago, and from the beginning our landlord has been extremely rude to us. We tried to brush it off at first, but he always comes into our apartment un-announced (Once while I was home alone in the shower). He has both of our phone numbers, but without letting us know he will still come into our apartment. Everytime we have issues in our apartment, he either pretends to come fix it and blames us later, or doesn't fix it at all. Now, he's saying we damaged our property, because I put up the Japanese flag on my wall. He doesn't respect the fact that it's part of our culture to take shoes off in our apartment, and laughs it off. Even when someone went through my mail, and opened packages being sent to our apartment he told us that it was an issue for the postal office. I really don't think he cares about our safety, but my biggest problem is that we are the only not white people living in the entire complex (There are 8 apartments). He has never treated anyone else this way, I know a few others living here. He came this morning to tell us that since we always have people in our apartment, he is going to evict us. I'm happy to leave, but what will that mean for us?

Nothing you've said is going to be of much value.

You want out of your lease, read your lease.

Your lease will describe HOW to terminate your lease EARLY, as well as what it will COST YOU to do so.

If the lease is silent about early termination, discuss the EARLY TERMINATION issue with your landlord.

The costs varies, so open the discussions now.

As far as the landlord entering your apartment when you are at home, you can prevent that with a deadbolt (if yoru lease allwos it), or by placing an interrior lock on your door (read your lease).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back