Landlord increased my rent but not my neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooms

My apartment that i've been living in for about 3 years now was just sold to a new landlord. He gave me a new lease agreement which will increase my rent from $950 to $1100. Also he told me he was taking away the late fee period. so if i don't pay on the first he'll tack on another $20. Also that my truck will be towed if I don't get it registered. I shrugged this off and clicked on craigslist to find another place to live.

The problem is my neighbors who lives in the exact same unit received a different lease agreement, their rent would not change as long as they signed a new year lease. These options were never given to me. When I confronted him about it he said he messed up and that he would offer me $1000 a month if I signed a new year lease agreement. That's what he said, "I messed up".

I am wondering if this is racial profiling because I'm Native American and my neighbors are white. I guess I should add that I've never drank and I don't party. I also have only been late on rent once in the 3 years I've lived here. Basically the prefect tenant. I also should add that my neighbor sent me the email he received with the new lease agreement that I never got. So I have the proof.

Doesn't matter a damn if it's fair. The law doesn't operate on fair. The lease your neighbors have has no bearing on the lease you have.

It's not a crime to show favoritism to people you like.
It is illegal to discriminate.
If there is a remedy for you, and you are right in your suspicions. Your remedy its be pursued in an Alaska court room, or before your state's human rights commission or agency.
You're free to follow your first mind,find yourself new digs.

Can you prove that the difference in lease is due to your race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back