Landlord forces to use his expeditors to file with DOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkSalon311

I currently have a nail salon and when we first leased it, it shared the same water tubes/pipes with our neighbor, a restaurant. There's only one water meter for both of us and our neighbor is laying the water bill so we've been paying them $300 per month for the water (both hot and cold) we use.

Now they ask for more money per month, we plan to install our own water heater for hot water. And also have a separate meter for cold water.

Our crazy landlord asked us to find an engineer/architect and file with Dept of Building. And now we have all the forms ready, the landlord now requests us to use his expeditors to file with DOB. We rejected it because we simply find it very unreasonable since its not stated in the contract that we must use his expeditors.

Now my questions are: does the landlord have the right to force us to use his expeditors? If not, since he's absolutely crazy, how can we 'reason' with him and use our own expeditors instead?

2) for the cold water, I'm guessing we need to file with DOB again to have a separate meter. Since the shared meter was given to us as stated in the contract, can we request the landlord to be responsible for all the filings and fees? Is there specific law that requires him to give us separate water meter?

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

Read your lease.

Usually you can't make changes to the property without the landlord's WRITTEN consent.

If I were, I wouldn't fight this battle.

Even if you win, you lose.

Do it the landlord's way.

You don't want your business disrupted.

Going to court won't help, it'll only make things worse.

Stop fighting, be smart, make money.

Isn't that why you're in business, to make money?

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back