Landlord attempted suicide

Rjww

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My landlord lives on the 1st floor, I am on the 2nd. She stabbed herself multiple times in our back porch area. The police had to use a taser to get the knife away. We had to power wash all the blood bc lesson learned the police "don't do that". She is in an induced coma. She is on a ventilator bc she punctured a lung. I have pictures of all the blood & the policeman with the taser. She once told me she has a brother but doesn't speak to him. I have never met or seen any family here before. She hears dripping water in the walls & wants us to go to the basement to listen. She woke us up at 2am in February bc she heard buzzing & thought the house was falling down or going to catch on fire. She said the house was going to be condemned & we should get out. She threatened to turn off the electricity all night in February, the wintertime. This is the 2nd time police have come. I wrote down all of my encounters with her when the dripping water & fire/ crumbling house incident occurred. She has access to my apartment & I am scared. Can I break my lease & move out before she gets out of the hospital? Idk how long she will be gone? My nephew is 7 & stays with me a lot. I feel unsafe for myself & fear to have my nephew here.

My landlord lives on the 1st floor, I am on the 2nd. She stabbed herself multiple times in our back porch area. The police had to use a taser to get the knife away. We had to power wash all the blood bc lesson learned the police "don't do that". She is in an induced coma. She is on a ventilator bc she punctured a lung. I have pictures of all the blood & the policeman with the taser. She once told me she has a brother but doesn't speak to him. I have never met or seen any family here before. She hears dripping water in the walls & wants us to go to the basement to listen. She woke us up at 2am in February bc she heard buzzing & thought the house was falling down or going to catch on fire. She said the house was going to be condemned & we should get out. She threatened to turn off the electricity all night in February, the wintertime. This is the 2nd time police have come. I wrote down all of my encounters with her when the dripping water & fire/ crumbling house incident occurred. She has access to my apartment & I am scared.

Can I break my lease & move out before she gets out of the hospital?

Idk how long she will be gone? My nephew is 7 & stays with me a lot. I feel unsafe for myself & fear to have my nephew here.

Read your lease to understand if you can LEGALLY break your lease.

If her medical condition gets worse, things won't get better for you, especially if she enters a long term coma or dies.

It might be advisable for you to start looking for your next abode on the morrow.

If her condition worsens, her property taxes, utilities, etc... might impact your living arrangement.

There are far too many complexities for you to seek free, unverifiable information via the Internet.

You might do yourself well to discuss this tragedy with a licensed attorney or three in your county.

Nothing in your post suggests you have grounds to break the lease.

When does the current lease term expire?

My nephew is 7 & stays with me a lot. I feel unsafe for myself & fear to have my nephew here.

Tell his parents about the situation and tell them of your concern and that you don't think he should stay with you until things are resolved.

Nothing in your post suggests you have grounds to break the lease.

When does the current lease term expire?

Tell his parents about the situation and tell them of your concern and that you don't think he should stay with you until things are resolved.

My lease expires April 1st

When your landlord is out of the hospital, you should discuss whether she's willing to terminate your lease early.

The word "can" denotes the ability to do something, not whether it's done rightly or wrongly.

So, yes, you CAN break your lease. Whether there are consequences or not is anybody's guess.

Worst case scenario is you lose your deposit and get sued for unpaid rent until she can re-rent.

Best case scenario she'll have a lot more to worry about than coming after you for anything.

I can't tell you what to do, you have to make the decision based on what is best for you and your family.

If it was me, though, I'd be packed up and living some place else before she got out of the hospital.

If it was me, though, I'd be packed up and living some place else before she got out of the hospital.

The trauma the OP suffered while watching a maniac, or mentally deranged person RAIN blood down upon you and your innocent family could be used as a defense before many evictions court judges.

You can't u pnsee, unsmell, or unfeel the the violence that jackball visited upon your innocent personage and family.

Back