Laid off

Status
Not open for further replies.

teresa8

In march of last year I was laid off from my job due to "re-organization" of the company. The following week they had hired someone to perform the job I held. I was a supervisor with this company. I had been employed on and off for 16 years. I started in 1984, in 1986 I left because I could not work with the owners son. In 1988 the owner called me and offered back my job. I took it and worked until 1991 when he fired me. (he said I quit) In 1996 I again got my job back. I feel kind of betrayed since this was a job that I thoughly enjoyed. The week before the "re-organization" I was given alot of different task that were impossible to complete. I knew and also mentioned to a fellow worker that my days were numbered. It has completely ruined my life. I am now after 10 months I am in debt up to my ears. I can not afford my car any longer and will have to give it up. I have 2 children whom I cant even afford child care. Is there anything I can do?

I'm not sure what you are seeking to do and your employer would be able to terminate your employment if he wanted to. While certainly you would feel that he is morally obligated to keep you for your years of service, there is no such legal obligation that I can determine. I'm assuming that you don't have an employment contract. I'm very sorry to hear the news but I think the best advice anyone can give is to find a new job as soon as you can.

Originally posted by teresa8
In march of last year I was laid off from my job due to "re-organization" of the company. The following week they had hired someone to perform the job I held. I was a supervisor with this company. I had been employed on and off for 16 years. I started in 1984, in 1986 I left because I could not work with the owners son. In 1988 the owner called me and offered back my job. I took it and worked until 1991 when he fired me. (he said I quit) In 1996 I again got my job back. I feel kind of betrayed since this was a job that I thoughly enjoyed. The week before the "re-organization" I was given alot of different task that were impossible to complete. I knew and also mentioned to a fellow worker that my days were numbered. It has completely ruined my life. I am now after 10 months I am in debt up to my ears. I can not afford my car any longer and will have to give it up. I have 2 children whom I cant even afford child care. Is there anything I can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back