Labor Laws for an Innkeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriciaM

I work has an innkeeper at a B & B when I work I stay at the inn for several nights and then come home. I have the inn cell phone with me 24 hrs. My question is what is the law for breaks, dinner etc..... Keep in mind I wake up at 630-7 AM to get breakfast ready work all day taking care of rooms and guests and I usually stop working to have dinner around 630- 7 PM and to bed shortly there after for I have to do it ALL over again the next day.

I have been laid off for two weeks because I had a friend over for dinner I was never told I wasn't allowed to in addition other innkeeper's have done it in the past with out a word being said & one of my bosses was well aware that I was having a guest coming for dinner long before they arrived he said nothing to me that it wasn't allowed and then I was laid off in the morning, the above being the reason why. I find this to be very deceitful on his part. What are my rights in this situation.

What is your employment arrangement?

Are you an employee, or a contractor (1099)?

Most of what you inquired about applies only to workers under 16 years of age.

The North Carolina Wage and Hour Act (WHA) does not require mandatory rest breaks or meal breaks for employees 16 years of age or older. The WHA requires breaks only for youths under 16 years of age.

This is their website where you can educate yourself on the law.

http://www.nclabor.com/wh/faqs.pdf

The doesn't concern itself with discipline of workers, as long as there is no CBA, the employer as a myriad of ways in which to address issues and sanction workers.

However, you aren't required to work where you feel underpaid, overworked, and unappreciated.

There really isn't much of an agreement..... and I am paid has an employee. The site you gave me isn't really helpful in answering my question. I am not hourly I get paid per 24hr shift.... So are you telling me they can expect me to work 630am-1030pm with out a break? Something doesn't sound right about that. I am originally from NY and the labor laws here are much different for each 8hrs you work you get and hour break.

I am well aware of the fact that I do not have to work where I am feel underpaid, overworked, and unappreciated. I just wanted to inform myself of the laws in NC

BTW what does CBA mean?

In most states, including NC, you can be required to work 24/7/365 and as long as you are paid properly, the law isn't going to care. Yes, they can expect you to work from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm without a break, since no Federal or NC law says otherwise.

NY has break laws. NC doesn't.

CBA - Collective Bargaining Agreement. If you are not a member of a union, you don't have one.

There really isn't much of an agreement..... and I am paid has an employee. The site you gave me isn't really helpful in answering my question. I am not hourly I get paid per 24hr shift.... So are you telling me they can expect me to work 630am-1030pm with out a break? Something doesn't sound right about that. I am originally from NY and the labor laws here are much different for each 8hrs you work you get and hour break.

I am well aware of the fact that I do not have to work where I am feel underpaid, overworked, and unappreciated. I just wanted to inform myself of the laws in NC

BTW what does CBA mean?

I'm not telling you anything.

I showed you what the law states.

Personally, you're doing it to yourself.

You're NOT indentured, nor are you ENSLAVED.

You knew the deal, yet you took it, and you still persist at it.

You do have a choice.

Unlike SLAVES or INDENTURED SERFS of centuries gone by, you can quit, in fact you don't even have to quit; you can just disappear, cut a chogie, vanish, disappear, or vamoose.

Choices have consequences.....

What is considered "paid properly"? That is a very broad statement.....

You being offered a wage of $100 a day for working nonstop between 5:00AM to 11:00PM for 5 days a week.

You get $500 for five grueling days, you've been paid properly, and hopefully promptly, which means the Friday following the end of the current week, for example.

I'm not telling you anything.

I showed you what the law states.

Personally, you're doing it to yourself.

You're NOT indentured, nor are you ENSLAVED.

You knew the deal, yet you took it, and you still persist at it.

You do have a choice.

Unlike SLAVES or INDENTURED SERFS of centuries gone by, you can quit, in fact you don't even have to quit; you can just disappear, cut a chogie, vanish, disappear, or vamoose.

Choices have consequences.....

Army Judge, I find your reply very rude and judgmental..... You do not know me nor do you know the whole situation. Has I stated earlier I am from NY and the labor laws are very different there. All I am trying to do is inform myself of the labor laws here in NC. I am WELL aware that I DONT have to do anything I Do Not agree with, which I stated earlier.... All I am looking for is information and I don't expect to be talked to has you just did.....Keep your personal thoughts to your self all I want are facts
its just plan out and out RUDE!!!!

So, do you have additional questions that I can answer for you?

CBG....No I don't think I do, you were very helpful Thank You!!

I now understand its not the same has where I am from & will have to now decide what my next step will be

Army Judge, I find your reply very rude and judgmental..... You do not know me nor do you know the whole situation. Has I stated earlier I am from NY and the labor laws are very different there. All I am trying to do is inform myself of the labor laws here in NC. I am WELL aware that I DONT have to do anything I Do Not agree with, which I stated earlier.... All I am looking for is information and I don't expect to be talked to has you just did.....Keep your personal thoughts to your self all I want are facts
its just plan out and out RUDE!!!!

And I should care because?

Yes, we don't know each other.

I plan to keep it that way....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back