labor commissioner hearing

Evanfinlayson

Jurisdiction
California
I worked as a independent contractor for a so called recycling corporation for five years this corporation collected used clothes by means of donations in fact they deceive the public by stating donations go to a foundation, by means of banners on the donation centers but they are a for profit corporation with a different name. I serviced these centers for a set fee and did not receive min wage for the time spent also had sixty miles to travel to the furthest thirty miles to second furthest and fifteen miles to third furthest and 2 miles to the closest to home.No travel expenses where given basically I was robed. Each donation center had cameras inside and out monitored by a center in India whom would notify me by means of text via Wats app when donation center needed service and expected me within the hour to begin the service .After applying California ABC rule I definitely should have been a employee. OK so I file a complaint with the labor commissioner office who call me to go over the case then we had a conference call with the corporation myself and the commissioners office and was told to wait for a hearing date .from the date I filed a complaint to date is approx ten months and still no hearing date 1/what can i do to expedite this 2/ why do these corporations get away with breaking labor laws .3/ If i steal from a corporation I will get immediate punishment yet if corporation steals from me it takes years for them just to reimburse me and on top of it they keep breaking these labor laws

1/what can i do to expedite this

Nothing. The wheels of bureaucracy turn inexorably slowly;

2/ why do these corporations get away with breaking labor laws .

Because people like you go along with it for 5 years.

3/ If i steal from a corporation I will get immediate punishment

That's right.

if corporation steals from me it takes years for them just to reimburse me and on top of it they keep breaking these labor laws

Again. You went along with this for 5 years. You should have known better. The internet is full of articles about employee vs independent contractor.

You'll just have to wait until this plays out.

Next time somebody wants to hire you as an independent contractor, google "Am I an independent contractor?"

The answer to your first question is nothing, and your second and third are pointless rhetorical questions. You're seeking to hold this company accountable, and you'll have to wait out the process. Consult with a local attorney for more thorough advice.

Back