Keep my home-business address private

Yahoo2020

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I am starting a virtual home-based business in IL. Sole proprietorship for now, possibly LLC or SCorp later. When I register my business I will have to post the announcement in the newspaper. I will never see customers at my home and want to keep my address private. I see posts elsewhere that promote getting a virtual address like the post office provides, but it says right on the form that address cannot be used as the business address on legal forms. I doubt there's anyone policing that. What's the best option to stay private?

The state wants to know where you are so you can be found if necessary.

That's why you have to use a physical location as your address.

Don't go into business.
I understand, that makes sense to me. But does it have to be my actual home address. Can virtual addresses ever be used in this case? I could be located through such an address.

I see posts elsewhere that promote getting a virtual address like the post office provides, but it says right on the form that address cannot be used as the business address on legal forms.
What form?

When I register my business I will have to post the announcement in the newspaper.

Register it with whom?

I see posts elsewhere that promote getting a virtual address like the post office provides, but it says right on the form that address cannot be used as the business address on legal forms.

What form?

What's the best option to stay private?

There are many situations in which you may not use a post office box (including a corporation's or LLC's designation of a registered agent for service of process). However, you could rent a box at a UPS store (or something similar). While such a box functions more-or-less identically to a post office box, they are not post office boxes.

Can virtual addresses ever be used in this case?

What does "virtual address" mean"? What does "this case" mean?

I understand, that makes sense to me. But does it have to be my actual home address. Can virtual addresses ever be used in this case? I could be located through such an address.

The REG-1 form asks for the "Primary or legal business address" and the mailing address if different.

Your primary or legal business address is the location where you conduct your business. Since that location is your home you put your home address. Ignore posts on the internet that purport to provide virtual addresses. Once they get your money, they are not responsible when the state comes down on you for not complying with the registration requirements.

BTW, did you overlook the other forms that you have to fill out:

REG-1-L Business Site Location Information. Requires your "street address."

REG-1-O Owner and Officer Information. Requires the "home address" of the owner (you).

REG-1-R Responsible Party Information. Requires your "legal address."

In short, the State of Illinois wants to know the exact location of the chair your butt sits on when you conduct your business. :p

Z, I know you like to probe for "exact" information but there are conclusions we can reasonably draw in order to expedite the informal nature of this site.

Register it with whom?

The State of Illinois.

What form?

REG-1.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/forms/reg/Documents/REG-1.pdf

you could rent a box at a UPS store (or something similar). While such a box functions more-or-less identically to a post office box, they are not post office boxes.

Nor are they the "primary or legal address" of the business and, thus, would not qualify. Nor are they a "home address" as required by REG-1-O.

What does "virtual address" mean"?

Virtual address locations are digital mailbox locations which are designed to keep a business owner's location hidden and don't comply with the registration requirements.

What does "this case" mean?

The OP's instance of registering his business with the state.

A real PO Box (at the post office, not a PMB like the UPS Store) can be used for business. You just need to designate what it is and provide your true identity (which the USPS may disclose to those who inquire).

What you can't use the PO Box for is the address of your registered agent if you are a corporation or LLC. In that case, you'll need to have someplace that is normally attended during business hours to allow service of documents. If you want to disassociate that with your address directly, there are companies that provide this service for you.

Back