just want to know my legal rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejh616

First off, I'm from bennettsville, south carolina. A couple of weeks ago i wennt to the local onestop and spoke with a Lieutenant from the Evan's correctional about applying for a job. I was given an application and told there were no openings at that time but to fill out the application and bring it back in the next friday, that he had openings approximately every week. The next friday i brought the application in as he asked. Before he started to go over the application i showed him the criminal records section where i had a charge of a felony bad check but it was dismissed and where i had been charged and pled guilty to overdrawing on some unemployment back in the early 90's, which it was actually 1993. I told him i wanted to show him this up front so if there was any problem to let me know. We then went over the application in entirety. The Lieutenant told me, he was going to fax a criminal records check to columbia, south carolina. he told me at that point i was hired as long as that came back o.k. He stated he would call me at around 2:30 p.m that evening. That evening around 3:00 p.m the lieutenant called and stated everything came back fine and i was hired and needed to report to the main office in Columbia, south carolina on 09/15/2008 at 8:15 a.m to process my paper work and take a physical. He also stated i might would need to leave early because of traffic in the morning there and that i would be responsible for the cost of getting there. I arrived on the 15th at 7:30 a.m. i wached a short video on the correctional officer job and then met with a Lieutenant to began processing paper work. i signed several papers as the lieutenant looked over my application. Once she got to the criminal records part she asked about the unemployment charge and i explained. She, then told me to wait there and she left and came back and told me they could not hire me because of it. that it represented a moral turpitude issue. I told her that Lieutenant Jackson had already hired me and said everything came back o.k and that i had already quit my job.She stated "you shouldn't have quit your job, lieutentant jackson must be slipping sending you up here". I just want to know what my legal rights are. I feel embarrassed, ashamed by how i was treated, not to mention unemployed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back